Beasts of the Southern Wild
The tough Grizzlies held the Nets to 37% shooting and forced them into 18 turnovers. Marc Gasol took All-Star Brook Lopez out of the game with his physical play.
As former Nets announcer Mark Jackson once pointed out, no player more resembles the 16th president than Tayshaun Prince. Prince lit it up for the Grizzlies tonight, scoring 11 points, including some huge shots in the 4th quarter when the Nets were threatening to pull away.
Deron Williams gets the love tonight. He was the only Net to have it going on offense, going 9-15 and scoring 24 in the loss. He led the 4th quarter comeback that fell just short.
"Unchained" from the Nets bench, MarShon Brooks and Mirza Teletovic were big in the 4th quarter. The offense started firing on all cylinders with D-Will and Andray Blatche taking advantage of the extra floor spacing and the Grizzlies suddenly unable to clog things up as they had throughout the rest of the game. They each did miss a big shot down the stretch that could have helped the Nets avoid the defeat. Brooks was only 4-13 for the game, however, and scored 8 points. Teletovic was 2-4 with 5 points, and looked less confused on defense than in previous games.
The Life of Pi
Say it aloud, and it sounds like "The Life Up High" - so this is a good place to mention that the Nets outrebounded the Grizzlies 55 to 42 and 17 to 7 on the offensive glass.
Zero Dark Thirty
Blatche had 10 points and 7 rebounds. Reggie Evans had 2 points and 14 rebounds. Darrell Arthur put up 2 points and 3 rebounds. Jon Leuer was dark. He did not play.
Brook Lopez had 9 points and 4 rebounds and didn't play in the 4th quarter.
Gerald Wallace had no points, 2 assists and a rebound in over 16 minutes.
The Nets made 5 free throws.
Silver Linings Playbook
Joe Johnson should be back soon!
- And in a tribute to Marlon Brando's 1972 decision to let others talks on his behalf at the Oscars, about half the rotation were no-shows when the media was allowed in to the locker room.
- Box Score - NBA.com
- Randolph, Gasol lead Grizzlies over Nets 76-72 - Adriano Torres - AP
- Game Highlights: Grizzlies vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Play of the Day - MarShon Brooks (Video) - NBA.com
- Gasol's Big Slam (Video) - NBA.com
- Gasol to Arthur (Video) - NBA.com
- Knockin' It Down (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets Post Game Plus (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- P.J. Carlesimo on tough loss to Memphis (Video) - YES Network
- Reggie Evans Interview (Video) - YES Network
- Nets’ ‘Star’ center hits a new ‘Lo’ in loss to Grizzlies - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Brooklyn loses second straight in low-scoring battle - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Missed call spells doom for Williams - Steve Serby - New York Post
- Rapid Reaction: Grizzlies 76, Nets 72 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Brook left out again - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- D-Will on drive: I thought I got fouled - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets fall after allowing Grizzlies to go on late run - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Memphis Grizzlies hold on to beat Brooklyn Nets 76-72 as Deron Williams turns it over in final minute as Joe Johnson sits again - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- As Joe Johnson Rests, Nets’ Offense Takes the Night Off Against Grizzlies - Howard Beck - NY Times
- Critical No-Call, Late Turnover Dooms Nets Against Grizzlies - Moke Hamilton - SNY Nets
- Brook Lopez Blows Off Media After Disappointing Loss - Moke Hamilton - SNY Nets
- Rapid Recap: Grizzlies 76, Nets 72 - Moke Hamilton - SNY Nets
- Nets fall to streaking Grizzlies, 76-72 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Behind smothering defense, Grizzlies beat Nets for 7th straight win - Ron Tillery - Memphis Commercial Appeal