Frank Isola, who on Thursday first reported the Knicks and Nets interest in Kyle Lowry is now reporting that James Dolan has taken New York out of the bidding war for the 27-year-old speedster and that the Nets may very well be in the lead position. Meanwhile, Adrian Wojnarowski tweeets the Nets are "gaining traction" in their pursuit of Lowry.
"According to several reports, the Knicks were prepared to trade Raymond Felton and Metta World Peace plus Iman Shumpert or Tim Hardaway Jr. or a 2018 first-round pick. The Raptors preferred the first-round pick, but Dolan — who negotiated the Carmelo Anthony trade with Raptors GM Masai Ujiri when Ujiri was with the Denver Nuggets — got cold feet about trading a future asset. That could open the door for the Brooklyn Nets to acquire Lowry instead.
"'Dolan didn’t want to get fleeced again by Masai," was how one Knicks source put it. 'They had a deal ready.'"
Woj reported Friday that the Nets are pushing ahead on Lowry...
Knicks front office regrouping on Kyle Lowry with Dolan, but Nets gaining traction as a possibility to land point guard, sources tell Yahoo.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) December 13, 2013
The key piece in a Nets deal for Lowry, who's averaging 16.6 points and 6.7 assists, is Bojan Bogdanovic who is Europe's leading scorer. Ohm Youngmisuk, writing for ESPN, says the Nets don't want to give up their 2020 first rounder which after this summer's Boston trade is the first first round pick the Nets have to deal. Whether the Nets are offering Bogdanovic as a substitute for a pick or Toronto is demanding both him and a pick is unknown.
Assuming a two-team deal, the Nets most likely would have to give up a combination of young and lower paid assets to match Lowry's (expiring) $6.2 million deal, like Mirza Teletovic, Reggie Evans, Toko Shengelia, Tyshawn Taylor.
- James Dolan blocks Knicks deal for Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry - Frank Isola - New York Daily News
- Knicks pursuing trade for Kyle Lowry - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Nets unwilling to trade pick for Lowry - Mike Mazzeo & Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Raptors: Knicks rumoured to covet Kyle Lowry in a trade - Doug Smith - Toronto Star
- King, Nets must quit while ahead - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Dolan Makes a Forward-Thinking Decision - New York Magazine