Deron Williams finally calmed the nerves of Nets nation when he participated in 5-on-5 drills today at practice. He was still limited, but participated in the one segment of drills. Despite the progress, he has been ruled out for the Nets game tomorrow in Boston and isn't expected to play in Miami on Friday.
This development does make it more plausible for DWill to be on the floor next Wednesday when the Nets open up their season in Cleveland. Williams played about 15-20 minutes in the 5-on-5 drills and said, "I didn't feel in sync at all because I haven't played basketball." He added, "It felt good to be back out there."
"He looked great," Jason Kidd said about Williams' play today, but he also noted that there was some rust on the point guard, saying, "The process is to do a little bit more each day, and today he got in some contact stuff and he looked good."
Williams was much more optimistic about his injury today than the past several, notes Tim Bontemps of the New York Post, adding that tomorrow's shootaround will be the true test to see how his ankle is holding up. In another tweet, Bontemps added to the positive news.
Deron Williams out participating in shooting drills with Shaun Livingston and Joe Johnson. Looks good stepping into shots.— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) October 22, 2013
His coach was encouraged but noted the next test will be how he feels Wednesday.
"They want me out there," said Williams, "but at the same time, they know how important it is for me to be healthy at the end," Williams said about this on-going process. He added, "They want me to take my time and they've told me to come back when I'm 100 percent."
- Deron goes through contact in Nets practice for first time - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Deron Williams returns to 5-on-5 contact in practice - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Deron Williams of Brooklyn Nets participates in drills - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Deron Williams returns to court for Nets, sees first five-on-five action following ankle injury - Mitch Abramson - New York Daily News
- Robbins: Williams Stops Cheerleading, Starts Practicing - Lenn Robbins - Brooklyn Nets
- GEICO SportsNite: Jason Kidd reacts to Deron Williams practicing (Video) - SNY Nets