For the first time in his professional career, Paul Pierce lined up against the Boston Celtics. And, also, for the first time in his NBA career, Pierce beat the Celtics, with the Nets winning, 82-80, for their third victory of the preseason.
Pierce struggled early on, offensively, scoring his first points in the final seconds of the second quarter. He did, however, play some point-forward, recording five assists; all in the first half. He finished with four points on 1-of-6 shooting, with 10 rebounds and five dimes in 27 minutes.
On the other side of the ball, it was the return of MarShon Brooks, Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries and Keith Bogans, who were all part of the summer blockbuster trade. None of the former Nets started in this one.
Wallace received a fairly warm welcome from the Brooklyn fans, while a spattering of boos broke out for Kris Humphries when he entered in the first quarter. Humphries played fairly well -- all things considered -- scoring 12 points with eight rebounds in 28 minutes. Wallace finished with four points and four rebounds in 26 minutes, while Brooks did absolutely nothing, playing just 2-plus minutes.
Andray Blatche started for the Nets, with Kevin Garnett sitting on night two of a back-to-back set. Blatche played alongside Brook Lopez, a front-court duo that wasn't much utilized last season. Blatche was fantastic, once again, recording 14 points six rebounds and four steals in 24 minutes. He and Lopez (20 points and 4 rebounds in 25 minutes) were highly effective as front-court mates. This may be a set coach Kidd runs out there if/when the Nets need a different look on offense, and of course it helped that KG was resting. But, you can't argue that this bigs combo isn't working, especially on the offensive end.
There's not much to read into this game, as Brooklyn was without Deron Williams, Jason Terry, Garnett, Andrei Kirilenko and Tyshawn Taylor, so once again the reserves were asked to do much of the heavy lifting. It was, in the most definitive way possible -- especially in the second half -- preseason basketball. Credit, though, the third unit, who finished the game against the Celtics starters.
Next up for the Nets, Thursday night at home against the Miami Heat. Jason Kidd will have his No. 5 jersey retired that night.
For more on the Celtics, see: Celtics Blog
- Celtics at Nets - October 15, 2013 - Box Score - NBA.com
- Celtics vs. Nets: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Pierce Fake Out (Video) - NBA.com
- Blatche to Joe (Video) - NBA.com
- Block then Bucket (Video) - NBA.com
- Green's New Poster (Video) - NBA.com
- Erased by Plumlee (Video) - NBA.com
- Denied by Lopez (Video) - NBA.com
- Pierce discusss Nets 82-80 win over the Celtics (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- Paul Pierce and Jason Kidd sound off on Nets win (Video) - SNY Nets
- Brooklyn Nets mascot dunk goes wrong, lodges ball under shot clock - SB Nation
- Game Thread: Brooklyn Nets vs. Boston Celtics, 7:30 PM - NetsDaily
- 2nd Half Game Thread: Nets vs. Celtics - NetsDaily
- Nets Edge Celtics in First Meeting Since Trade - AP
- Reunion for Players and a Win for the Nets - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Not easy seeing green for Pierce - Howie Kussoy - New York Post
- Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett renew acquaintances with Celtics - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Kevin Garnett finds kindred spirit in Nets' Reggie Evans - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Jason Kidd's Brooklyn Nets adjustment tougher than Brad Stevens' - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Joe Johnson: Brooklyn Nets most complete team in NBA - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Pierce puts past to bed in Brooklyn - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- MarShon Brooks opens up about his frustrations with the Nets: "I didn't want to be in that situation next year." - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Celtics' Gerald Wallace says he was Nets scapegoat - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Tyshawn Taylor talks about his maturation through D-League experiences - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd wants jersey retirement ceremony over as quickly as possible - Filip Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets escape with slim victory over Celtics - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Kidd injecting ICE in Brooklyn's veins - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Paul Pierce gets first taste of Nets-Celtics rivalry from other side - Larry Fleisher - Metro
- Final Score: Nets 82, Celtics 80 - Jon Presser - SNY Nets
- Fast Break: Paul Pierce’s ugly Celtics reunion - Ben Rohrbach - WEEI
- Pierce wins ugly in first game against Celtics - Ben Rohrbach - WEEI
- Pierce, Nets beat the Celtics 82-80 in an awkward, sloppy game - Kevin O'Connor - Celtics Blog
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 82, Celtics 80 - Chris Forsberg - ESPN Boston
- Pregame: Pierce invades C's locker room - Chris Forsberg - ESPN Boston
- Brooklyn Nets 82, Boston Celtics 80: Courtney Lee leads comeback, but Celtics fall against Paul Pierce's new team - Jay King - Springfield Republican
- Paul Pierce Playing in Different Jersey Sort of Weird and Other Impressions From Celtics’ Loss to Nets - Ben Watanabe - NESN
- Dwyane Wade Says Heat’s Bad Blood With Celtics Will ‘Transfer Well’ to Brooklyn Nets - Ben Watanabe - NESN
- Paul Pierce feels out new situation - Dan Duggan - Boston Herald
- Avery Bradley changes his defensive focus - Mark Murphy - Boston Herald
- Paul Pierce visits Celtics locker room to greet ex-teammates - Baxter Holmes - Boston Globe