The Nets didn't say much after their first practice at the Michael W. Krzyzewski Basketball Center Tuesday, but one thing they agreed on was Kevin Garnett is the same as he ever was ... and they're not.
The man for whom the center is named gave a welcoming speech at 9:45 and then the pre-season officially began. No surprise who was pushing things early. Garnett talked about holding teams to under 80 points a game.
"For me personally, it's just so cool to hear (Garnett speak)," Lopez told reporters. "I was geeking out a little bit. One of the first things he said was 'I'm just here to have your back and help you out with anything, I'm going to be there for you.'"
"(Garnett) has a huge impact, he has everyone talking (on the court)," Kidd said, as reported by Ohm Youngmisuk. "He's a guy that only knows one way, he's a professional. And you saw that this morning, from the time he touched the floor to the time he walked off."
Kidd admitted he let KG do the talking, calling it a "role reversal," but Kidd knows why Billy King pursued Garnett. So does Deron Williams.
"I don't want to say night and day from last year, but it's just a different feeling. Starting with defense, and working our way from there."
Kidd offered up what Terry called a "gumbo" of defensive schemes, some from Lawrence Frank, who handled defensive duties in Boston and now will be doing the same in Brooklyn.
On the health front, Williams (ankle inflammation) did sit out much of the practice and Jason Terry and Toko Shengelia were also limited as they continued rehabbing their knees after surgery.
Williams reiterated what he told reporters at Media Day, that he thinks he can go out there right now, but that the Nets training staff is taking every precaution.
"They want to take it slow. they don't want any setbacks," said D-Will. "They don't want me to go out here and step on somebody's ankle." D-Will said he planned to play "in every preseason game." The nets have two preseason games early next week.
- Brooklyn Nets feel 'better' vibe as practice opens under Jason Kidd - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- D-Will looks to restore confidence - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Mason Plumlee at home as Brooklyn Nets begin camp at Duke - AP
- Lopez ready to grow with improved Nets - Mike Vaccaro - New York Post
- Nets easing Deron back onto court - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- New Kidd in town leads 1st Nets practice - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets’ Teletovic comes back with points to prove - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- For Nets, Chemistry and Gumbo - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Deron Williams limited by ankle injury, should be ready for preseason - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- What's in the kit? - Chris Hooker - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets Training Camp, Day One, Twitterfied - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Kevin Garnett already stepping up as leader of Nets on first day of training camp - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- For Nets, what’s new is old: Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce - Mitch Lawrence - New York Daily News
- Resting or Not, Why All of Kevin Garnett's Time Will Matter in Brooklyn - Jared Zwerling - Bleacher Report
- All-Star Imports Set Tone at First Nets Practice - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Deron, Terry limited in first practice for 'anxious' Nets - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets get off to a fast start at first official practice - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Practice First Day (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- Nets' Deron Williams must first believe in himself to be top PG - DeAnte Prince - The Sporting News
- NBA training camp storylines to watch - Rob Mahoney - Sports Illustrated
- Net expectations apparent as training camp approaches - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Nets' rookie Mason Plumlee returns to his Duke roots - Steve Weissman - Durham Herald-Sun
- DURHAM: Plumlee back at Duke, but already realizes NBA is a different game - Laura Keeley - Raleigh News-Observer
- Brooklyn Nets Talk Mason Plumlee (Video) - Eitan Tye - Duke Student Broadcasting
- Training Camp: Williams Regains Confidence - Lenn Robbins - Brooklyn Nets
- 2013-14 NBA Season Preview: Brooklyn Nets - Baller Mind Frame