BROOKLYN, NEW YORK -- In what started out as a busy day for the Brooklyn Nets, with Brook Lopez being named an All-Star replacement and Reggie Evans igniting a little extra fire under LeBron James, the stories were a-plenty even before the Nets and Heat tipped off.
Deron Williams was questionable in this one, with flu-like symptoms, while Chris Bosh was also questionable with a toe injury. Both players, however, suited up. Though it's likely Williams wished he hadn't as the Nets were embarrassed by the Heat, 105-85.
LeBron led the way with 24 points, nine rebounds and seven assists, while Williams chipped in for just nine points, five assists and six turnovers in 34 minutes.
The game was naturally a big one for the Nets, who were blown out by the Heat in their first two meetings, and with this game being at home, the atmosphere was certainly in their favor. The pace, however, wasn't.
Miami got out to an early lead, making seven of their first 10 shots, while the Nets struggled offensively. And while the Heat cooled off a little, they still managed to make all five of their 3-point attempts in the quarter to build a 10-point lead, 30-20.
In the second, the Nets got a nice boost from Andray Blatche, who scored 10 points in the quarter, and they were able to push the Heat, by scoring 29 second-quarter points and holding them to 19 of their own, tying the game at 49-49 at the half.
The Nets held their own early in the third, before the Heat starters went on a run of their own, building up a 9-point lead midway through the quarter. LeBron James simply took over from there, scoring 10 points in the quarter and sparking the Heat's offense. The Nets were struggling to get into an offensive rhythm, while at the same time leaving the lanes wide open for the Heat bigs to get easy cuts to the basket.
By the end of the third, the Heat had build a 22-point lead, 85-63, thus ending the night early.
I'll spare you the details of the fourth quarter, other than to say that Blatche and Joe Johnson combined to score 28 points, which is four more points than what LeBron scored. So, in that sense, Reggie Evans was sort of right? Together, they are like LeBron. Separately, though, no one is.
For more on the Heat, see: Hot Hot Hoops
- Heat at Nets - January 30, 2013 - Box score - NBA.com
- Heat blow out Nets in 2nd half, win 105-85 - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Game Highlights: Heat vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Wallace Crushes the RIm (Video) - NBA.com
- Johnson's Cross-over Drops Bosh (Video) - NBA.com
- Birdman is Back (Video) - NBA.com
- James Connects with Wade (Video) - NBA.com
- Carlesimo discusses Lopez going to All-Star game (Video) - YES Network
- Lopez discusses 105-85 loss to the Heat (Video) - YES Network
- Williams discusses 105-85 loss to the Heat (Video) - YES Network
- Miss America, Mallory Hagan, sits down with Sarah Kustok (Video) - YES Network
- Joe Johnson breaks Chris Bosh’s ankles (Video) - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Heat Show the Nets How Far They Still Have to Go - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Lessons From a LeBron James Hug - Harvey Araton - New York Times
- Heat, LeBron James respond to Evans' insults with rout of Nets - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Nets played LeBron James and Heat strong, right up until the game started - Filip Bondy - NY Daily News
- Nets ‘embarrassed’ in second half as Miami pulls away in blowout - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Miss America Mallory Hagan belts out National Anthem before Nets game - Rich Calder - New York Post
- Nets fall to Heat, 105-85, after disastrous third quarter - Mike Vorkunov - Star-Ledger
- LeBron James becomes the superstar who is finally getting it - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
Nets no match for Heat in 105-85 loss - Pete Caldera - The Record
- Heat blows away Nets with 36-14 third quarter - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets’ talk rings hollow once again (Video) - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Nets no challenge for Heat in East - Sam Gardner - FOX Sports
- Mario Chalmers Rebound & Assist Sitting On Floor - YouTube - CJ Zero
- Rapid Reaction: Heat 105, Nets 85 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Notes: D-Will slowed by flu - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Welp: Heat 105, Nets 85 (Game Grades) - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Rapid Recap: #Heat 105, #Nets 85 - Jim Mancari - SNY Nets
- Nets vs Miami: Long Way to Go - Anthony Dixon - Nets Take Over
- The Brooklyn Nets Struggle Face - Twitter - Jose3030
- Heat drop Nets 103-83 - Jay Ramos - Hot Hot Hoops
- Heat Reaction: Miami Heat at Brooklyn Nets - Michael Wallace - ESPN
- Miami Heat rolls over Nets in first visit to Brooklyn - Joseph Goodman - Miami Herald
- Heat blow out Nets; LeBron trashes Evans' tainted-title talk - Ira Winderman - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
- Winderman's view: Heat 105, Nets 85 - Ira Winderman - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
- First half game thread - NetsDaily
- Second half game thread - NetsDaily