In a broad-ranging session with the Nets (changing) beat writers, Billy King said he's personally more focused on Sunday's free agency than Thursday's draft, noting of Deron Williams' decision, "there is certainty coming" and the Nets are prepared for any eventuality. D-Will, he said, will do what's best for him and his family. As for his own feelings, the Nets GM said, “I’m not overconfident. I feel good.”
As if to add some drama, Williams at one point walked into the press conference. KIng asked if he wanted to swap seats. Williams said no, smiled and left. King noted he was invited to Williams’ birthday party, but did not attend.
Of the Draft, King said he doesn't expect to trade into the first round but that could change "at moment's notice". Of the #57 pick, King said they might draft a European to stash him. King said of draft day: "I enjoy it ... It's a fun day," but he refuted David Aldridge's report that the Nets are trying to get a top six pick. "There's no shot." He also said a player under contract could be traded. Not likely to be MarShon Brooks who King said the Nets hope to develop into a sixth man scorer like James Harden or Jason Terry.
King also noted that Williams officially opted out of his contract last week, that the Nets have provided Brook Lopez a qualifying offer but didn't provide details, that he is waiting on Jordan Farmar's decision on his player option and that the Nets do not have an agreement with Mirza Teletovic, as reported by a Spanish website.
- Avery Johnson attends D-Will's party (Updated) - Chris Broussard - ESPN New York
Williams works out, King meets media as Nets prep - AP
- Billy King remains confident in chances to re-sign Deron Williams - Rod Boone - New York Newsday
- Billy King: We can move into first round - Rod Boone - New York Newsday
- Stefan Bondy's post on Brooklyn Nets - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News via Sulia
- Nets deny report they've reached deal with Teletovic - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets Head Into Draft, Free Agency With A Lot On The Line - John Schuhmann - NBA.com
Billy King says Nets more concerned about free agency than the NBA Draft - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
It’s official: Deron Williams did not pick up option, now fun begins - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports