This time, it's Russian hockey players. The president of the Kontinental Hockey League, Russia's hockey league, announced Tuesday that his teams will play two regular season games in January at Barclays Center. The date and the teams have yet to be determined, but Alexander Medvedev said they will be top teams and the games will be played just before the KHL All-Star Game in late January.
Newsday reports the idea originated with Medvedev who spoke with fellow oligarch Mikhail Prokhorov. Barclays, of course, is trying to show the arena is a valid landing sport for the Islanders when their Nassau Coliseum lease runs out in 2015.
- In January, the KHL will hold a two games of the regular season in Brooklyn (Google Translate) - SovSport
- KHL coming to Brooklyn in January? - Jason Brough - NBC Sports
- Hockey in Brooklyn: KHL president says two regular-season games set for Barclays Center - Dmitry Chesnokov - Yahoo! Sports
Barclays to host Russians - Rich Calder - New York Post
- Brooklyn Plans Two Regular-Season KHL Games - Seth Rosenthal - New York Magazine
- KHL teams expected to play two games in Brooklyn - Mike Brehm - USA Today
Russian hockey teams to play at Barclays Center - Steve Zipay - New York Newsday