When the Nets faced the Magic on Friday, they didn't have either of the stars they wanted to. Dwight Howard was still in a Magic uniform, and Deron Williams was still in a suit. And as expected, the Magic came away with an easy 86-70 victory.
The Nets were within four midway through the second quarter, but the Magic then took control with a 10-0 run. The Magic led by as many as 20 points in the third quarter and cruised to an easy win with the teams combining for just 24 points in the fourth.
The Nets shot just 34 percent from the field. Gerald Green led them with 14 points, but went scoreless in the second half. Jordan Williams (10 points) and DeShawn Stevenson (11) were the only other Nets in double-figures.
Starters Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and Sundiata Gaines combined to shoot 3-for-30 without Williams and Jordan Farmar to distribute the ball. Jerry Smith made his NBA debut, playing solid defense and scoring five points in 20 minutes.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Magic (Video) - NBA.com
- Howard leads Magic to easy 86-70 win over Nets - Kyle Hightower - AP
- Dwight Howard helps Orlando Magic trump Nets, 86-70, one day after trade deadline - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Deron Williams 'can't be mad' about Dwight Howard's decision to stay with Magic - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
No Magic formula for Deron, Nets - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- A day after Dwight Howard waives contract option, Nets lose against Magic - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
Nets fall to Magic, Dwight Howard, 86-70 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
Magic’s Howard Clouds Future for Nets and Williams - Harvey Araton - New York Times
- Time running out for Nets' playoff push - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Conference call made Howard's decision a dunk - Michael Wallace - ESPN
Dwight is All Wight in Orlando - Shaun Powell - NBA.com
- Magic fans spell relief D-W-I-G-H-T - Brian Schmitz - Orlando Sentinel
- Memo to Stephen A. Smith: Dwight owes Nets nothing - Mike Bianchi - Orlando Sentinel
Orlando Magic gets a hometown discount when star Dwight Howard stays - Brian Schmitz - Orlando Sentinel
- Howard crushes Nets off and on the court - Mike Povtak - FOX Sports Florida
Howard’s Decision Disappointed Williams? - HoopsWorld