With Jerry Seinfeld watching from Jay-Z's seats, Joe Johnson let fly a buzzer-beater at the end of double-overtime to give the Nets their second straight win, a 107-105 victory over the Pistons at Barclays Center on Friday.
The Nets led by as many as 17-points in the second quarter, winning the period 36-22. But the Pistons turned the game around with a 30-14 third. Though the Nets took a couple of brief leads in the fourth, they continued to struggle offensively and a 7-0 Detroit run put the visitors up six with 1:32 left in the game.
The Nets came back though and Gerald Wallace tipped in a Johnson miss to tie the game at 90 with 21 seconds left. Brandon Knight and Deron Williams each missed potential game-winning jumpers, sending the game to overtime.
In the first OT, another huge offensive rebound by Wallace allowed Johnson to tie the game with a runner with 19 seconds to go, and Rodney Stuckey's game-winner on the other end was long.
The Nets missed their first six shots of the second overtime, but they fell behind only three, and drives by Wallace and Johnson put them up 104-103 with 26 seconds left. Reggie Evans then fouled Greg Monroe, but Monroe missed both free throws. After Johnson split a pair with 10 seconds to go, Kyle Singler put back a Knight miss to tie the game back up with 5.8 seconds on the clock.
The Nets then got the ball to Johnson, who stroked a 22-foot, step-back jumper over Tayshaun Prince at the buzzer. Johnson said he knew it was going in from the time it left his fingers. "That’s why I kind of faded back and my trot was kind of swagged out," Johnson said. For the crowd, it was an exhilarating moment and a relief.
The Nets shot 45 percent and committed just 11 turnovers, five by Williams. Johnson led all scorers with 28 points on 12-for-22 shooting. Wallace finished with a season-high 25 points, 10 rebounds, two steals and two blocks. Williams added 17 points and six assists, while Andray Blatche added 16 points before fouling out in overtime.
Brook Lopez played 24 minutes in his return to action, showing some signs of rust as he scored nine points on 4-for-10 shooting.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Game Highlights: Pistons vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Play of the Day - Joe Johnson's Buzzer Beater (Video) - NBA.com
Phantom Camera: Joe Johnson's Game-Winner! (Video) - NBA.com
- Arena Link: Joe Johnson (Video) - Rick Kamla & Rick Fox - NBA TV
- Horry Scale: Joe Johnson Sinks Pistons - Zettler Clay IV - NBA.com
- Nets beat Pistons in 2 OTs on Johnson's jumper - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Johnson discusses his game-winning shot over Pistons (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- Avery discusses exciting win over the Pistons (Video) - YES Network
- Blatche discusses overtime win over the Pistons (Video) - YES Network
- Lopez discusses tonight's win over the Pistons (Video) - YES Network
- Joe Johnson Rescues Ragged Nets by Beating Buzzer and Pistons - Zach Schonbrun - New York Times
- Nets top Pistons on Johnson's game-winner in 2OT - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Gerald Wallace bounces back for Nets with double-double - Kristie Ackert - NY Daily News
- Brooklyn Nets defeat Detroit Pistons in double-overtime, 107-105 - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Jerry Stackhouse of Brooklyn Nets sidelined with sore right knee - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets sparked by Lopez return - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Frank finally coaches in Brooklyn — with Pistons - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 107, Pistons 105 (2OT) - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Iso Joe delivers first game-winner - - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rapid Recap: Nets 107, Pistons 105 (2OT) - Jim Mancari - SNY
- Jerry Stackhouse Discusses His Injury and Andray Blatche’s Play - Moke Hamilton - SNY
- Wallace a game-changer for franchise that needs one (Video) - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Nets get Lopez back, and Joe Johnson’s the 2-OT hero - Jason Schrott - Brooklyn Fans
- Score Sheet: Nets' Johnson Wins It At the Buzzer in 2nd OT - Scott Cacciola - Wall Street Journal
- Video: Joe Johnson's game-winner in Nets' win over the Pistons (Video) - Zach Harper - CBS Sports
- Video: Joe Johnson hits game-winner in double overtime - D.J. Foster - NBC Sports
- Pistons squander leads; lose to Nets in double-OT - Rod Beard - Detroit News
- Brooklyn 107, Detroit 105 (2OT): Joe Johnson's buzzer-beater thwarts Pistons - Vince Ellis - Detroit Free Press
- Detroit Pistons can't close out -- again -- in double-OT loss to Brooklyn Nets - David Mayo - MLive
- Detroit Bad Boys
- Brooklyn Nets Tickets - TiqIQ