After a 35-17 first quarter, it looked like another blowout. But the Nets' offense struggled after that and the Magic were able to hang around. They led by 15 early in the fourth quarter, but the Magic cut the lead down to five with 2:05 left. Deron Williams and Brook Lopez then answered with big buckets to hold off Orlando and the Nets escaped with an eight-point win.
Both teams shot less than 40 percent overall, but the Nets outscored the Magic 21-3 from three-point range and outrebounded them 55-41. Lopez led all scorers with 20 points, Kris Humphries added 14 points and 21 rebounds, and Williams finished with 17 points, seven boards and seven assists.
The win put the Nets at 3-2, the first time they have had a winning record after five games since the 2007-08 team and it was also the first time since 2006 that the Nets held an opponent to 75 points or less in two consecutive games.
D-Will was unhappy after the game with a non-call in the fourth quarter that left him with a sore left ankle.
"I came down on the defender’s foot which was supposed to be a foul. That’s a point of emphasis," Williams said. "I missed 13 games my third year in the NBA (because of a similar play). It’s definitely a dangerous play and it should’ve been a foul."
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Magic vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Magic vs. Nets: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets hold on, finish home-and-home sweep of Magic - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Avery discusses 82-74 win over the Magic (Video) - YES Network
- Humphries discusses win over the Magic (Video) - YES Network
- Williams discusses 82-74 win over Magic (Video) - YES Network
- Second Win Against Orlando Is Much Tighter One - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Nets Need Brook Lopez to be Meaner - Harvey Araton - New York Times
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 82, Magic 74 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- D-Will upset with ref's non-call - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets hold on, finish home-and-home sweep of Magic - Barbara Barker - Newsday
- Nets take second straight over Magic - Stefan Bondy - NY Daily News
- Nets show that, like Knicks, they are not one of the truly bad teams in the NBA, like the Magic for example - Filip Bondy - NY Daily News
- Too-close win rather point-less - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets, Knicks to be decked out in Xmas unis - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Magic trip home for Harkless - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Humphries hustles for 21-board haul - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- The Orlando Magic lost 82-74 to the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday - Josh Robbins - Orlando Sentinel
- Magic players and coaches were impressed by brand-new Barclays Center - Josh Robbins - Orlando Sentinel
- Arron Afflalo speaks after the loss in Brooklyn (Video) - Orlando Sentinel
- Jacque Vaughn looks back at the loss in Brooklyn (Video) - Orlando Sentinel
- Nets 82, Magic 74: Orlando comeback attempt falls short - Mike from Illinois - Orlando Pinstriped Post