Mikhail Prokhorov sure does love the dramatic.
After a full day of air travel, Prokhorov arrived in San Antonio an hour before Friday's game vs. the Spurs and Deron Williams' first game as a Net. Williams had said he looked forward to meeting the Big Russian in London next weekend, but now he won't have to wait.
Prokhorov was described by an associate as "in a great frame of mind, very excited to be at Deron's first game as a member of the Nets".
It will be Prokhorov's first away game since he bought the team back in May. The team is 5-2 with him in the building. He has been in Vancouver all week on a heli-skiing vacation. On Friday morning, his pilots filed a flight plan for the half hour trip to Kamloops in the Canadian Rockies, then a second for the three and a half hour flight from Kamloops to San Antonio. The Nets play in Houston Saturday.
It's expected there'll be four new starters on the floor Friday: Williams in place of the traded Devin Harris; Sasha Vujacic in place of Anthony Morrow; Kris Humphries in place of the traded Derrick Favors; and Damion James in place of Travis Outlaw. The Nets waived physicals for Brandan Wright and Dan Gadzuric Friday morning. Wright will wear Harris' old number, 34; Gadzuric 50.
- Prokhorov plans to see Williams make Nets debut - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
- Williams’ set for Nets’ debut and other lineup changes - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Deron Williams era set to begin for Nets in San Antonio - Colin Stephenson - Nets Blast
Mikhail Prokhorov makes a surprise appearance, as pressure shifts from Billy King to Avery Johnson - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
The Nets have a cornerstone, now the building starts - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Spurs Nation Deadline over, Spurs move forward and other shootaround notes - Mike Monroe - San Antonio Express-News
- Win-win for D-Will - Brad Rock - Deseret News
Williams understands Jazz’s reasoning behind trade - Kurt Kragthorpe - Salt Lake Tribune