Deron Williams made a big impression on Nets fans Thursday when he walked into a room full of reporters and told them, "I'm excited to be a Net!".
In his introductory press conference, the 26-year-old traded for Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and two first rounders (plus $3 million of Mikhail Prokhorov's cash hoard) also said he would like to help the Nets "make a playoff push."..this season. They're currently 8 and a half games out and would have go something like 21-4 the rest of the way.
"It's been a quick 24 hours for me," Williams said. "At first it was a little bit of shock, but after talking to (GM) Billy King, talking to coach (Avery) Johnson, and just seeing the direction that they want to go in and the vision for their organization , it just really got me excited about the possibilities of competing for a championship in the next couple of years...It’s definitely a change, and a challenge, but I look forward to turning this thing around and competing for a title.
"They're very ambitious in going after a lot of guys," he added. "I'm going to help with that as well."
He did admit "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous when I heard I was going to a team that is 17-40" and said he "can't give any assurances" when asked if he will re-sign with the Nets. He indicated that his decision will be impacted by the new collective bargaining agreement and the Nets' ability to improve the roster.
Under the current collective bargaining agreement, the two sides can't even talk about an extension until July 1.
- Nets Press Conference (Video) - New Jersey Nets
- Deron Williams Press Conference (Video) - YES Network
- Deron Williams Interview (Video) - Ian Eagle & Jim Spanarkel - YES Network
- Billy King Interview (Video) - Ian Eagle & Jim Spanarkel - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Interview (Video) - Ian Eagle & Jim Spanarkel - YES Network
Nets Unveil New Cornerstone With Hopes of Keeping Him in Place - Mark Viera - New York Times
- Deron Williams initially 'nervous' about Nets - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
Nets PG Williams won't talk contract until 2012 - Tom Canavan - AP
- Deron Williams says initial reaction was shock at being traded to Nets - Conor Orr - Star-Ledger
Deron Williams does not say whether he'll stay with Nets - Conor Orr - Star-Ledger
The Nets' sales pitch to Deron Williams should be about picks and cap room -- not Brooklyn - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets vs. Knicks: Who made out better before NBA trade deadline? - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- More wins could make Deron Williams a sticking point - Filip Bondy - New York Daily News
Newest Net hints he may not stay - Kristie Ackert - New York Daily News
- Deron keepin' an open-mind about NJ - Jay Greenberg - New York Post
Deron Williams Says He's Not Ready to Make Long-Term Commitment to Nets - Mason Levinson - Bloomberg News
GEICO SportsNite: Deron Williams on joining the Nets (Video) - Gary Apple - SNY