With reports that the Nuggets and Knicks are having problems working out a trade that would bring Carmelo Anthony to Madison Square Garden, Mikhail Prokhorov and Jay-Z met with Anthony for 40 minutes at a Los Angeles restaurant late Saturday afternoon.
According to Chris Broussard and Marc Stein, the Nets ownership talked about short-term and long-term vision as well as their move to Brooklyn for the start of the 2012-13 season, promising to build a championship-caliber team around him, largely through free agency.
Anthony was non-committal, reports ESPN, but told the two, along with Billy King and Brett Yormark, that he will think about the situation and would like to have a resolution before the end of the weekend. Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted that "After Carmelo Anthony sit-down with New Jersey ownership, 'The Nets didn’t come away very confident,' a source briefed on meeting tells Y!."
The meeting also included Anthony's business manager, Bay Frazier, and his agent, Leon Rose. Anthony met Thursday night with James Dolan, owner of the Knicks.
- Source: Carmelo Anthony, Nets meet - Chris Broussard & Marc Stein - ESPN
Nets meet with ’Melo but Knicks in driver’s seat - Marc Berman - New York Post
Isiah Thomas mum on Carmelo - Andrew Marchand - ESPN New York
- Anthony to meet with Nets owner - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Nets reportedly back in on Melo after Dolan jumps in - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
Nets owner Prokhorov meets with Carmelo in L.A. - David Aldridge - NBA.com
- Nets hierarchy will sit down with Carmelo Anthony on Saturday night - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Carmelo Anthony meets with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov and Jay-Z Saturday night in L.A. - Stefan Bondy & Frank Isola - New York Daily News
- Hot Question for N.B.A. All-Stars - Knicks or Nets for Anthony? - Howard Beck - New York Times
Signs Pointing Stronger to Carmelo Anthony Joining Knicks - Chris Tomasson - FanHouse