With an agreement reportedly in place between the Nets and Nuggets--Fred Kerber calls it a "settled deal", Al Iannazzone calls it "a tentative agreement"--a conclusion to the Melo Drama now rests on Carmelo Anthony's yay or nyet. Problem is that while various reports have Mikhail Prokhorov meeting Anthony this weekend in Los Angeles, 'Melo claimed Friday he knows nothing about it. He told writers there's "no meeting at all'' scheduled with the Nets and any reported meeting is "news to me."
Anthony added: "If I was to meet with that guy (Prokhorov) to be honest I really don't know what I would say." Later Friday, the object of the Nets' affection told writers that he would be "happy" to meet with any team who Denver nominated and added that he would think "deeply" about signing an extension with the Nets.
As has also been widely reported, the Nets' offer to the Nuggets has them sending Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Troy Murphy and Ben Uzoh, plus four first round draft picks, to the Nuggets for Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Renaldo Balkman and Melvin Ely.
Although it's well known the Nuggets have given the Prokhorov permission to talk with Melo, the Daily News is reporting that Knick owner Jame Dolan has gotten Denver's nod as well. The Knicks' offer is seen as inferior to the Nets.
No matter what, expect the Melo Drama, which has already impinged on training camps, preseason and regular season to now overshadow the All-Star game.
- Sources: Nets, Nuggets reach agreement; now it's up to Carmelo Anthony to say yes - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Nets, Nuggets traade only needs Anthony to sign off - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- No deal in place to send Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony to Nets, team official says - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
At All-Star press conference, Anthony offers little insight into trade speculation| NJ.com - Star-Ledger
- Sitdown with Nets denied by 'Melo - AP
Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony nearing trade to New Jersey Nets - Chris Dempsey - Denver Post
Carmelo Anthony's job hunt makes mockery of NBA, Nuggets - Michael Rosenberg - Sports Illustrated
Sources: Nets, Knicks to meet with Melo - Marc Stein & Chris Broussard - ESPN
- Knicks assuming Nets are a real threat - Alan Hahn - New York Newsday
- 'Melo Anthony looms over Knicks, Walsh - Marc Berman - New York Post
- Amare has chance to recruit Carmelo to Knicks - Marc Berman - New York Post
Don’t Worry, Knicks Fans: Jim Dolan’s GOT THIS - Will Leitch & Joe DeLessio - New York Magazine