The Nets announced Thursday evening that they have acquired center Mehmet Okur from the Utah Jazz in exchange for the Nets' second round pick in 2015. Okur, who played more than five seasons with Deron Williams in Utah, fills the hole caused by Brook Lopez's injury.
Okur is owed $10.9 million this season on an expiring deal. He averaged at least 13 points per game in each of his five full seasons with the Jazz and more than 17 points per game in three of those. But he played only 13 games last season, dealing mostly with back issues.
Like Deron Williams, Okur played in Turkey. In 10 games, divided between the Turkish League and the EuroChallenge, Okur didn't appear to be bothered by his back issues. He averaged 13.5 points and 8.1 rebounds in 30 minutes per game for Turkish Telecom. He shot 46.4% from two point range and 38.2% from deep. In a head-to-head matchup with Williams and Besiktas, Okur had 18 points and 13 boards while his once and future teammate had 23 points and 8 assists. Besiktas won the game.
He scored a total of nine points in 30 minutes in the Jazz's two preseason games.
- Jazz Acquires Future Draft Pick from New Jersey - Utah Jazz
- Nets acquire Mehmet Okur in trade - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets act quickly to replace Brook Lopez, trade for Mehmet Okur - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
Nets lose Brook Lopez to broken right foot, likely out at least 2 months - Pete Caldera - The Record
- Nets center Brook Lopez fractures right foot, out indefinitely - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- DeShawn Stevenson, a defensive stopper, is set to join Nets - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Brook Lopez, NJ Nets center, has stress fracture in right foot, will have surgery Friday - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets acquire C Mehmet Okur from Jazz - AP
Nets acquire Okur from Utah Jazz for a second-round pick in 2015.- Chris Sheridan - Sheridan Hoops
- Okur traded to Nets for draft pick, trade exception - Brian T. Smith - Salt Lake Tribune
- Mehmet Okur occupies sweet spot in Jazz history - Kurt Kragthorpe - Salt Lake Tribune
Utah Jazz trade Mehmet Okur to New Jersey for trade exception, future 2nd-round pick - Jody Genessy - Deseret News
Jazz trade C Okur to Nets for 2nd-round pick - Lynn deBruin - Ogden Standard Examiner
- Nets Eye Playoffs With Okur Deal - John Schuhmann - NBA.com
- Brook Lopez Injury, Mehmet Okur Trade Hurt New Jersey Nets' Chances of Landing Orlando Magic Star - Evan Dunlop - Orlando Pinstriped Post