As the Nets were making moves --signing Shawne Williams and Ime Udoka, waiving Travis Outlaw and pursuing Andrei Kirilenko and Kris Humphries-- 1,100 miles to the south, Dwight Howard was once again letting Otis Smith know he wanted to be moved, that nothing has changed regarding his trade request.
In East Rutherford, Billy King emerged to say he was surprised how much money was being thrown around in free agency but that he prefers flexibility. As for Deron Williams, he talked about Shawne Williams and Kirilenko, both of whom he recommended, and how he feels about Howard's situation. "We got a team right here that’s going to play basketball," Williams said. "If it happens it happens."
In Orlando, it appeared Howard was doing his best to make "it" happen. He had a private meeting with GM Otis Smith and made it clear nothing has changed. He said his request "still stands."
Dwight Howard says his request to be traded from the Orlando Magic still stands (Video) - Orlando Sentinel
- Nets star and GM discuss amnesties, free agents and the team's future - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Nets practice notes: GM speaks after busy day - Tim Bontemps - New York Post Nets Blog
Nets roster now taking shape - Tim Bontemps - New York Post Nets Blog
- With Dwight Howard deal off, Nets waive Travis Outlaw, sign Shawne Williams, Ime Udoka - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
Deron Williams says Nets not crushed by not getting Dwight Howard - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- King’s message to Nets’ fans: No need to panic - Andy Vasquez - NJ Nets Nation
Important stuff from Avery - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Dwight Howard and the Magic (Video) - Shaquille O'Neal, et al - TNT