The three-team deal that would have sent Chris Paul to the Lakers and Pau Gasol to the Hornets is dead and L.A. are now expected to shift their focus to pursue Dwight Howard. Instead, they'll trade Lamar Odom to the Mavericks for the trade exception Dallas got from the Knicks in the Tyson Chandler sign-and-trade.
As Marc Stein tweeted early Sunday morning, "Lakers have clearly made decision to focus on trying to acquire Dwight Howard. Lining up rest of their assets to duel New Jersey for DH12."
Quoting a western conference executive, Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted, "'The Lakers are shifting toward trying to make a Dwight Howard deal'."
John Hollinger tweets he is confused by the Lakers strategy if Howard is their target. "Any exception created by dealing Odom isn't big enough to take in Turkoglu. I'm not seeing LA's endgame here, nor why Dallas would help." On the other hand, the death of the three-team deal will make it difficult for the Rockets to sign Nene.
By early morning Sunday, there were reports that the Magic wanted both Gasol and Andrew Bynum for Howard (and Hedo Turkoglu), an offer the Lakers would likely reject. Stefan Bondy tweets that the Lakers signing of veterans Glen Davis and Jason Richardson shows the Magic don't yet see themselves in a rebuilding mode, a disadvantage for the Nets who have rebuilding assets.
As for the Odom deal, Larry Coon of ESPN thinks that it's a "prelude to something else" while Mike Bresnahan of the L.A. Times thinks it's merely cost-cutting by the team.
- Lakers pull out of Paul talks - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
- Lakers pull out of trade talks for Chris Paul - Marc Stein - ESPN
Lakers end Paul trade talks, ship Odom to Mavs - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Lakers pull out of three-way Paul deal, trade Odom to Mavericks - Sam Amick - Sports Illustrated
Lakers Pursuit of Hornets’ Paul Falls Through Again - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Lakers out of Chris Paul talks, possibly hurting Nets' Dwight Howard chances - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- What next for Los Angeles Lakers and Chris Paul? - John Hollinger - ESPN Insider
- NBA -- Most likely landing spots for Chris Paul, Dwight Howard? - ESPN
- Dwight Howard gains interest from LA Lakers, threatening NJ Nets for NBA Defensive Player of the Year - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
Dwight Howard wants to be traded to the Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Teams never get equal value for stars - Peter Vecsey - New York Post
Reports: Dwight Howard asks to be traded to Nets - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- This can't be good - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Time for King to close the deal - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Lakers trade Lamar Odom to the Mavericks - Mike Bresnahan - Los Angeles Times
- Lakers keep chasing Paul while Howard asks out - Kevin Ding - Orange County Register
Magic and fans could be in for a wild ride with Dwight Howard - Brian Schmitz - Orlando Sentinel