Deron Williams seems to be getting the hang of European basketball. On Tuesday, he scored 50 points in Besiktas' 105-94 EuroChallenge victory over Gottingen of Germany. Williams shot 17-for-23 from the field, including 7-for-10 from 3-point range. He dished out just one assist, but also committed just two turnovers and drew nine fouls. The 50 points is a record for EuroChallenge play.
Playing at home, Besiktas was up by just one late in the game when Williams hit a dagger three. A minute later, with his team up five, he scored five straight points to put the game away. The win improved Besiktas to 3-0 in EuroChallenge play and now there are reports Lamar Odom may join Williams.
In an earlier EuroChallenge game, Sundiata Gaines scored 20 points in B.C. Armia's win over ZZ Leiden of the Netherlands. Gaines didn't have as good a shooting game (4-for-14) as his backcourt mate, but he drew 10 fouls. The Nets' three point guards --D-Will, Gaines and Jordan Farmar-- are now 36-5 in various European leagues and cups.
- Williams Hits 50 As Besiktas Down Göttingen - FIBA Europe
- Besiktas Milangaz - BG Göttingen Game Card - FIBA Europe
- Deron Williams vs Gottengen (Video) - YouTube
- Sources -- Besiktas seeking to pair Odom with Deron Williams - Marc Stein - ESPN
- Deron Williams drops 50 for Besiktas (with Video) - Ben Golliver - CBS Sports
- Deron Williams drops 50, sets new record (with Video) - TalkBasket
- USA - Williams scintillating in points explosion for Besiktas - FIBA
5-0: Williams wows in Turkey - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Sources: Besiktas targets Lamar Odom - Marc Stein - ESPN
Armia Turn Back Brave Leiden - FIBA Europe
Armia - ZZ Leiden Game Card - FIBA Europe