The Nets trade with the Nuggets and Pistons seemed to be in limbo as midnight struck in the East Monday. Carmelo Anthony, in an interview after another Nugget loss, told reporters "I don't see it happening", but wouldn't talk about timetable. The comment seemed to leave uncertain the status of talks which heated up over the weekend, then stalled.
Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Anthony Carter and Shelden Williams were all on the floor for the Nuggets as they lost the Hornets on Sunday night. About the same time, back in New Jersey, the Nets' frustrated front office packed up their iPads and headed home...although at that point it seemed possible talks might resume before morning.
With a deal --that could be the biggest in NBA history-- close to being done, the Nets and Pistons expected the four Nuggets to sit out. Adrian Wojnarowski reports that New Jersey and Detroit are set on the deal, but Denver "remains vague" with what they want. The hold-up may be about the mix of players, how much in contracts Denver will be willing to take on rather than picks.
"The deal is close," an NBA official told Al Iannazzone. "But Denver is looking to hit a home run." Still, Nets officials remain optimistic a deal will get done and have important allies on their side: 'Melo's agents.
Iannazzone reports as well that DaJuan Summers, a little used Piston forward, would be sent to the Nets and Wojnarowski writes that "to make Billups comfortable", the Nets will likely agree to pay him $14.2 million next year instead of using the $3.7 million buyout in his contract. Moreover, the Nets are trying to add another team to re-route Johan Petro away from Detroit. Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post hinted it could the Rockets.
- Melo Trade Twitter Feed - Shane Patel - Twitter
Nets close to landing Anthony - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- AP Source: Nets 'advancing' on Anthony deal - AP
- Sources: Nets, Nuggets closer to Carmelo Anthony deal - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Anthony to Nets deal still on, New Jersey could also land Hamilton, Billups - Stefan Bondy & Mitch Lawrence - New York Daily News
Sources: Nets' blockbuster trade for Carmelo Anthony taking shape - Marc Stein & Chris Broussard - ESPN
- Has Carmelo Anthony Played Last Game With Nuggets? 'Not at All,' Star Says - Chris Tomasson - FanHouse
Melodrama's final act hinges on one simple question - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
- Sources: Nets close to landing 'Melo in three-team trade - David Aldridge - NBA.com
Nuggets closing in on Melo deal with Nets? - Alan Hahn - New York Newsday
- Nuggets close to sending Carmelo Anthony to Nets in blockbuster deal - Chris Mannix - Sports Illustrated
- Adding Carmelo Anthony still leaves New Jersey Nets short of title contention - Ian Thomsen - Sports Illustrated
Numerous 'moving parts' holding up Carmelo-to-Nets three-way trade - Sean Deveney - Sporting News
- Source: Anthony Will Sign With Nets - Alex Raskin - HoopsWorld
- Pistons close to trading Richard Hamilton to Nets - Vincent Goodwill - Detroit News
Pistons guard Richard Hamilton may be headed to New Jersey - Vince Ellis - Detroit Free Press
Pistons still talking with Nets about trade that would send Richard Hamilton to New Jersey - Chris Iott - MLive
Three-team trade involving Melo, Billups continues to take shape - Benjamin Hochman - Denver Post
Carmelo Anthony headed to New Jersey? - Michael Lee - Washington Post