Fred Kerber's sources tell him that a trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to the Nets could come soon, possibly this weekend. The trade is the same that has been reported for the last few days, with Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton also coming to New Jersey. One issue is the Nets' schedule. They play three games in four days, starting in L.A. on Friday.
But according to Kerber, things are looking good for the Melodrama to finally come to an end. "Several NBA sources expressed growing optimism that the Nets are nearing a completion to the Carmelo Anthony saga with an agreement possible this weekend," he writes. Al Iannazzone echoes Kerber. "It’s possible there could be an agreement by the time the Nets end their trip Monday at Golden State."
There were other indications as well. On NBA TV, Kenny Smith, citing the Piston decision to sit Hamilton, said he thought the trade would "go down in the next 24 to 48 hours". On TNT, David Aldridge said the trade is still on and likely to happen next week. In Denver, George Karl, the Nuggets coach, told Chris Tomasson: "I talk to Masai [Ujiri] once every 3 or 4 days on detail. But I don’t want daily detail. Tomorrow’s going to be different.’’ Karl also said that for the first time Wednesday he watched Derrick Favors, the linchpin along with Devin Harris, of the Nets' offer.
Not everyone agrees. Colin Stephenson writes the deal is stuck in "neutral" and Chris Broussard tweets that the Knicks have talked to the Grizzlies about a three-team trade that would send O.J. Mayo to Denver and Anthony to New York. Matt Moore of CBS Sports, reports that there's no indication so far that the Grizzlies are interested in facilitating such a deal...and Knick GM Donnie Walsh denied the rumor.
- Nets could get Carmelo 'soon:' source - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
Carmelo Anthony trade talks heat up, could be a Net next week - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Current Carmelo Anthony deal unlikely as talks move into 'neutral' - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Long-anticipated Carmelo trade expected to happen next week - David Aldridge - NBA.com
- Trade Talk (Video) - Kenny Smith & Greg Anthony - NBA TV
- Nuggets coach Karl tunes in to watch Favors amid Anthony trade speculation - Pat Graham - AP
- The 'Melo Deal: How it might work, why it makes sense - John Schuhmann - NBA.com
- Sources: Knicks reach out to Grizzlies - Chris Broussard - ESPN
Donnie Walsh denies most recent Carmelo Anthony trade rumor involving O.J. Mayo - Frank Isola - Knicks Knation
- Report: Knicks talking to Memphis for Melo deal - Matt Moore - CBS Sports