There was little news Tuesday out of talks to bring Carmelo Anthony to the Nets, but Chris Broussard and Adrian Wojnarowski disagree on whether the Nuggets star is willing to join New Jersey/Brooklyn, with Broussard writing he's never said he wants the Nets and Woj suggesting otherwise.
Broussard writes that Nets, Nuggets and Pistons are working on the deal based on a faulty assumption that Anthony would sign a $64.5 million contract extension that would make him a Net for the next 4 1/2 years. But the ESPN writer reports "Melo has never told anyone, not even his reps, he's willing to sign in New Jersey."
Not so, writes Wojnarowski. "He’s told two teammates he would ultimately be fine joining the Nets, and pushed his agent, Leon Rose, to help construct a package of players to go to the Nets with him". However, Woj also writes Anthony has been "has been wildly back and forth on his willingness to compromise with the Nets over the Knicks".
Of course, Broussard adds, the Nets have also never been told that Anthony's not interested in signing there. And it has been Rose who's been helping the three teams put the mega-deal together. The Bobcats, 76ers and Wizards have all been told not to bother trading for Anthony.
After Tuesday's win over the Suns, Anthony guaranteed reporters that he would still be with the Nuggets when they play the Heat on Thursday...and said his wife, LaLa Vasquez, will have no say in his decision. Meanwhile, there are reports the Nuggets are already marketing Devin Harris to several teams, an indication they expect to have him in Denver soon.
Melo Trade Twitter Feed - Shane Patel - Twitter.com
- Sources: Carmelo Anthony may be biggest snag in trade - Chris Broussard - ESPN
- Arena Link: Carmelo Anthony (Video) - NBA.com
- Stoudemire tries to recruit Anthony - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Anthony says wife not calling shots - Marc J. Spears - Yahoo! Sports
- Trade would reunite Billups, Hamilton - Marc J. Spears - Yahoo! Sports
- Carmelo Anthony: 'This Is Not My Last Game' With Nuggets - Chris Tomasson - FanHouse
As rumors swirl, Carmelo Anthony confident he's staying a Nugget - Ian Thomsen - Sports Illustrated
- On the Carmelo watch, tonight watch Batum - Chris Sheridan - ESPN New York
Where do the major players in the Melo market go from here? - ESPN
- Will the Denver Nuggets trade Carmelo Anthony ... and when? - Jeff Zillgitt & Michael Falgoust - USA Today
Report: ‘Melo undecided about signing an extension with Nets; says wife not driving choices - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Knicks still alive in Carmelo Anthony trade talks, chances are '50-50' - Frank Isola - New York Daily News
- Carmelo Anthony trade talks with Nets in a holding pattern - Matthew Stanmyre - Star-Ledger
- Trying to make his franchise relevant, Prokhorov has made his players feel insignificant - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Nets coach: No 'Melo deal imminent - Brian Lewis & David Satriano - New York Post
Nets desperately want Carmelo Anthony trade to happen, but can't focus on it - Ebenezer Samuel - New York Daily News
- Billups: It’s out of my hands - Pat Graham - AP
- Nuggets dropping the ball with Billups - Mark Kiszla - Denver Post
- Pistons still willing to part with Rip Hamilton if deal can be worked out - Vince Ellis - Detroit Free Press
More holdup with Richard Hamilton trade proposal - Vincent Goodwill - Detroit News