If they go along with the Nets' offer, the Nuggets would save nearly $20 million, including luxury taxes; get a former All-Star in Devin Harris and one of the game's top three point shooters in Anthony Morrow; a $12 million trade exception and three first rounders (including Derrick Favors) that could all wind up as lottery picks. But that's apparently not enough.
Chris Broussard tweets, "NJ's changed parameters of deal several times but nothing to Den's liking yet. NJ leaving for 4-game road trip tomorrow & all players going." The impediment, according to Broussard and others, concerns Al Harrington, who the Nuggets want moved. The Nets would prefer the Nuggets drop the demand but are still looking for a fourth team to bring into the deal. There's also Denver's demand that another first round pick be involved.
Another impediment, reports Adrian Wojnarowski, is the Nuggets' anger with leaks of trade details. So angry, Woj reports, that Denver threatened to trade 'Melo to the Knicks. As a result, talks have gone underground. While the deal "is definitely not dead...they ain't 'on the 10-yard line' anymore", adds Broussard. Meanwhile, there are reports, including from Chris Mannix, that the Rockets are ready to pick up the pieces if the Nets/Nuggets negotiations fall through.
Still, as Peter Vecsey reports, there's no doubt in the Nets' camp that if the deal goes through in whatever form, 'Melo will sign that extension. If not now, when? There's some suggestion that January 17 might work. It's the end of the Nets short west coast swing and the day before Mikhail Prokhorov returns to the US for an Evening of Russian Culture on January 19.
- Sources: Carmelo Anthony trade discussions drag on - Chris Broussard & Marc Stein - ESPN
Melo update: Underground talks could lead to deal - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
- Nets' deal for Carmelo Anthony on hold after new wrinkle - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets need to seal Carmelo Anthony trade to save face - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Deal cloud hangs over Nets practice - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Carmelo would OK Jersey extension - Peter Vecsey - New York Post
- With blockbuster deal, Nets aim to become relevant again - John Schuhmann - NBA.com
Nets won't take 'No' for an answer, as much as Melo tries - Shaun Powell - NBA.com
- Nuggets threaten to trade 'Melo to N.Y. - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
Billups misses Nuggets’ practice - Marc J. Spears - Yahoo! Sports
Nets, Nuggets still working on blockbuster - Al Iananzzone - The Nets Insider
- Nets frustrated, but hopeful they can land Carmelo Anthony - Al Iannazzone - The Record
Carmelo doesn't believe Knicks want him, Nuggets stall potential deal to Nets: NBA source - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Johnson on potential Melo deal (Video) - SNY
Nets' Bid for Carmelo Anthony Stalled as Nuggets Seek to Shed Salary - Sam Amick - FanHouse
- Breaking up hard to do, except to get Melo - Alan Hahn - New York Newsday
Carmelo Anthony frustrated by pressure on Billups - Benjamin Hochman - Denver Post
- Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony deal has "wow" factor - Woody Paige - Denver Post
- With Nets stalling, Rockets quietly enter Carmelo Anthony derby - Chris Mannix - Sports Illustrated
- Rockets still trying to trade for Nuggets star Anthony - Jonathan Feigen - Houston Chronicle
Melo Update No. 7,459 - Royce Young - CBS Sports
Trade talks a waiting game - Vincent Goodwill - Detroit News
Thrills are gone: Richard Hamilton, Pistons must part - Terry Foster - Detroit News
- Richard Hamilton stays cool amid trade speculation - Vincent Goodwill - Detroit News
Pistons' Rip Hamilton takes trade talk in stride - Vince Ellis - Detroit Free Press
- Pistons' Richard Hamilton may be New Jersey-bound - Vince Ellis - Detroit Free Press
NETS: Nets Practice Report - Monday, January 10 - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets