This is not the way the Nets wanted to start the new year. Playing one of only four teams with a worse record than their own, they dropped their fifth straight game, a depressing 103-88 loss in Minnesota on Saturday.
The Nets managed to recover from a first quarter in which they allowed the Timberwolves to score 36 points. They had a one-point lead at the half, but the Wolves scored the first 14 points of the third quarter and the Nets scored a season-low nine points in the period. The offense picked up in the fourth, but they couldn't get nearly enough stops and never got the Wolves' lead down to single-figures.
The Nets shot 45 percent from the field, but committed 20 turnovers. With Kim Kardashian in the stands cheering him on, Kris Humphries recorded his 10th double-double of the season in his Minnesota homecoming and Sasha Vujacic tied a career high with 22 points. But Brook Lopez finished with just six points and four rebounds in 31 minutes and Devin Harris shot just 3-for-13 from the field.
In a pre-game interview, Avery Johnson said Jordan Farmar's knee would be re-examined and re-evaluated on return home to New Jersey. A second MRI is expected.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Game Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Love, Wolves outlast Nets - Jon Krawczynski - AP
- Nets-Timberwolves notebook - Jim Beilby - NBA.com
- Nets drop fifth straight, losing to Timberwolves - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets' Kris Humphries happy to play for hometown crowd - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Johnson wants better rebounding from Lopez - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- No defense for Nets no-show in Minnesota - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Lopez is failing boards - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Timberwolves beat Nets 103-88 behind Kevin Love's 23 points - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets go backward in loss to T-Wolves - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Nets notes: Anthony Morrow still out - Al Iannazzone - The Record
New Year, Same Nets - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
Pre-Game: Avery Johnson Interview (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
- Post-Game Plus (Video) - Gordon Damer - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Press Conference (Video) - YES Network
- Sasha Vujacic Interview (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
Kris Humphries Interview (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
- A tale of two halves - Kent Youngblood - Minneapolis Star-Tribune
- Defense drives message home - Kent Youngblood - Minneapolis Star-Tribune
- Wolves playing it safe with Flynn - Kent Youngblood - Minneapolis Star-Tribune
- A rarity: Wolves mix in some defense in win over Nets - Phil Mackey - ESPN Twin Cities
Kurt Rambis' halftime rant gets results as Timberwolves rally to beat Nets - Ray Richardson - St. Paul Pioneer-Press