The Nets are not making a deal for Carmelo Anthony... at least for now. Wanting to move on if a trade couldn't be made, Billy King set a Tuesday deadline to make the four-way deal that had been discussed between the Nets, Nuggets, Bobcats and Jazz.
That deal isn't happening, but the Nets and Nuggets may continue to discuss other options to bring Anthony to New Jersey at a later date.
One issue may be that Denver also wants to unload Kenyon Martin and/or J.R. Smith, both with expiring contracts, if they're going to trade their star. Recovering from yet another knee surgery, Martin is not expected to play until at least December.
It's also not 100 percent clear if Anthony wants to be a Net. He told reporters Tuesday that he will talk to George Karl soon: "He said he wanted to get together one day this week.’’
- No Deal - For The Time Being - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
Nets back out of Carmelo Anthony trade talks - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Anthony trade to Nets is dead as talks with Nuggets collapse - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
Knicks are back in the hunt for Carmelo Anthony - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- No deal: Nets' trade for Anthony off - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Nets: Anthony 'deal is dead' - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets' pursuit of Carmelo Anthony 'dead,' according to team officials - Conor Orr - Star-Ledger
Knicks-Carmelo has chance to be revisited - Steve Adamek - The Record
- Four-team trade for Anthony officially dead - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo!
Sources: Nets cool to Melo trade - Marc Stein - ESPN
Four-way deal dead, but talks will continue - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
- Anthony Going to Nets in Four-Team Trade Dead Issue - Chris Tomasson - FanHouse
- Deal that would sent Carmelo Anthony to Nets is dead - Chris Mannix - Sports Illustrated
- 4-team trade off the table, but Nets still possibility for Carmelo Anthony - Benjamin Hochman - Denver Post
Kiszla: Ball is not in Carmelo Anthony's court - Mark Kiszla - Denver Post
AP Source: Deal sending Anthony to Nets is 'dead' - Pat Graham - AP