Carmelo Anthony could become a Net this weekend, possibly as early as Saturday. It would be the biggest trade since they sent Stephon Marbury to Phoenix for Jason Kidd. But now, even after Anthony reportedly signed off on the deal--which team officials dispute, there may be other hold-ups. Denver wants a "better deal," perhaps with the Bulls.
It may not be as lopsided as that deal or the 2004 Vince Carter deal, but if it is completed, the trade will end what has been an off-season with so many changes that the Nets' "It's All New" marketing campaign seems like an understatement. New owner, new coach, new general manager, new arena, and maybe a new star....among 12 new players.
The Nets are ready to give up real (Devin Harris) and potential (Derrick Favors) talent for Anthony, the 6'8" scoring machine who at 26 is one of the league's premier players. According to Adrian Wojnarowski's latest report, they would also be giving up not one, but two first round picks, the Warriors' 2012 pick and their own 2011 pick.
But Billy King's bold move could prove his new owner is a player in the NBA--even after he was dismissed as a poser in July; send the Knicks scurrying with their tails between their legs; and on the weekend training camps opened, make the Nets THE franchise of the moment in the NBA.
Nets move closer to landing Anthony - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo!
Four-team trade to bring Carmelo Anthony to Nets 'pretty close, but not done' - Conor Orr - Star-Ledger
- Carmelo Anthony trade talks heat up - Marc Stein - ESPN
- Nets in four-team talks for Melo (UPDATE) - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
- The Melo Trade Update: Deal may expand - CBS Sports
Nuggets May Not Be Able to Afford Waiting on Carmelo Anthony Trade - Sam Amick - FanHouse
Nuggets have deal in place to ship 'Melo to Nets - David Aldridge - NBA.com
The Latest Melo Drama - Al Iannazzone - In the 'ZZone
- Nuggets close in on trading Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey - Benjamin Hochman - Denver Post
- Jazz’s Kirilenko involved in potential four-team trade, sources say - Brian T. Smith - Salt Lake Tribune
Teams involved in 'serious discussions' regarding possible Kirilenko trade - Jody Genessy - Deseret News
- Nets in talks to acquire All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony - Mark Viera - New York Times
- Nets Discuss Four-Team Deal to Acquire Carmelo Anthony - Howard Beck - New York Times
Nets working on deal for Carmelo Anthony: Jazz could move Kirilenko as part of deal - Tom Canavan - AP