The Nets wanted Tom Thibodeau to replace Lawrence Frank on the sidelines but are happy to have Avery Johnson running their show. Lawrence Frank wanted a head coaching job but is happy to be replacing Tom Thibodeau in Boston, being named a Celtic assistant coach Thursday.
“I think it’s a good situation for me – I wanted to get back and coach, and I didn’t want to sit and wait, and you can’t ask for a better situation or a better organization,” Frank said.
Frank was fired by the Nets after an injury-riddled 0-16 start in New Jersey last season, being replaced by Kiki Vandeweghe. Vandeweghe is also in the hunt for a new job, being one of the finalists to replace Kevin Pritchard in Portland.
- Frank to assist Celtics - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Frank signs on with Celts - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Lawrence Frank joins Doc Rivers' staff in Boston - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Frankly, new coach will be a net gain - Gary Washburn - Boston Globe
- Lawrence Frank joins Doc Rivers on bench - Mark Murphy - Boston Herald
Celtics hire Lawrence Frank as assistant - A. Sherrod Blakely - Comcast SportsNet