The Nets have traded Yi Jianlian to the Wizards in a cap savings move that will free up nearly $3 million in cap space. The move will give them a bit less than $30 million in space and put them back in second place among teams seeking top free agents behind the Knicks. The Nets need $33 million to sign two max free agents.
In the deal, the Nets send Yi and $3 million of Mikhail Prokhorov's cash to the Wizards and receive journeyman small forward Quinton Ross in return. Ross will be paid $1.14 million, $2.91 million less than Yi's $4.05 million.
Ross, a 6'6" swingman out of SMU, has played for the Clippers, Grizzlies, Mavericks and Wizards. A defensive specialist, the 29-year-old averaged 1.8 points and 0.9 rebounds in 11 minutes a game last season. For his career, he is averaging 4.3 points and 2.2 rebounds in 19 minutes a game.
Yi now moves to his third team, after disappointing turns in Milwaukee and New Jersey. Oft-injured--he's missed 67 games in three seasons, Yi seemed to be making progress at various points during his time with the Nets but never showed enough consistency. The Nets play two games in China this fall, games originally scheduled because of Yi's popularity.
- Yi On The Move Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Nets to trade Yi Jianlian to Wizards - Dave D'Alessandro - Nets Blast
- Nets trade Yi to Wizards - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Source: Nets to trade Yi to Wizards - Chad Ford - ESPN
Nets send Yi to D.C.; now $30 million under cap - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
- Nets looking to trade Yi Jianlian to Wizards - Julian Garcia - The InterNets
Nets trade Yi to Wizards, clear cash - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Wizards set to acquire Yi Jianlian from New Jersey - Michael Lee - Washington Post
Wizards raiding LeBron James's suitors - Michael Lee - Washington Post
- Nets Deal Yi Jianlian to Wizards, Declare War on Bulls - Tom Ziller - FanHouse
- NETS: Nets Acquire Quinton Ross from Washington for Yi Jianlian - New Jersey Nets
Transaction Analysis: Nets Dump Yi - Kevin Pelton - Basketball Prospectus