Surprise! Rod Thorn, like any good poker (or three card monte) player, is playing a big hand late in the game and his name is Greg Monroe, Georgetown's 6'11" PF/C. Not only that, but Thorn seemed to eliminate DeMarcus Cousins from the mix at #3 in talks with beat reporters.
First Cousins. While praising the 6'11" Kentucky center, he seemingly dropped him from contention, pointing to deficiencies at the power forward position. "It’s a leap of faith there to suggest that he can play the 4. He can shoot the ball well, and he can face the basket. But I don’t think he’ll take it from 20 feet and go by people, and defensively it could be even more of a problem."
That would seem to suggest the competition is down to Derrick Favors and Wesley Johnson. Not so. Thorn says nice things about the (barely) 20-year-old Monroe. "We like Monroe a lot," Thorn said. "He’s a lot different than Derrick Favors. He has an all-around game — left hand, right hand, great size. So I don’t think you (eliminate him) by any stretch. Monroe’s looking very good to us."
Are the Nets considering moving down to nab Monroe...or Epke Udoh, who they also like? "We haven’t talked to anyone about moving as of yet," he said. "Right now, I’d say no. But it could be a possibility."
- Georgetown product Greg Monroe now in Nets' sights as draft approaches - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Nets narrow down field for 3rd pick in tomorrow's draft - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Wall, Turner, then big guys - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Almost Decision Time - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Tuesday Night Draft Buzz Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
Nets Playing Mind Games - Ryan Feldman - The Hoops Report
- Nets Will Make a Huge Mistake If They Pass on DeMarcus Cousins - Daniel Marks - DIME
Battle of teen NBA stars: Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins at No. 3 overall - Michael Carvell - Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- At age 23, late to NBA might be right on time - Jerry Zgoda - Minneapolis Star-Tribune
Minnesota Timberwolves looking to keep No. 4 pick in Thursday's NBA draft - Ray Richardson - St. Paul Pioneer-Press
- Good News, Nets: Third Pick's Better Than the Second - David Biderman - Wall Street Journal
Ex-Sooners awaiting fate - Guerin Emig - Tulsa World