The Nets made official on Thursday afternoon what we learned about 24 hours earlier. They have reached an agreement to make Avery Johnson their next head coach. The press release includes statements from Johnson, Rod Thorn and Mikhail Prokhorov.
Dave D'Alessandro reports that the contract is for three years and close to $12 million, but because Johnson was still under contract with the Dallas Mavericks, the Mavs will be paying for most of the first year. A press conference to formally introduce Johnson will take place Tuesday, and Devin Harris is expected to attend.
Thorn: "We feel that he possesses all of the characteristics, including knowledge, passion and leadership, that are necessary for us to be a championship contender in the years to come."
Prokhorov: "This is the beginning of what I hope will be many more exciting announcements to come before the start of the season."
Dave D also goes through the list of those mentioned as potential assistants, suggesting Blazers' assistant Joe Prunty is "probably a lock as Avery’s top guy, because they are best friends". Other names thrown around include Popeye Jones, Mike Malone, and Darvin Ham. Although Johnson has said he won't retain any of the Nets' assistants, Dave D says expect Brook Lopez to put in a good word for big man coach Roy Rogers.
- Nets Reach Agreement with Avery Johnson to Become Coach - New Jersey Nets
- Rod Thorn on Avery Johnson (Video) - New Jersey Nets
Nets New Coach (Video) - Charles Barkley & Kenny Smith - NBA.com
- Nets Hire Avery - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
Thorn Had to Act Fast - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Deconstructing Nets coach Avery Johnson - Dave D'Alessandro - Nets Blast
Avery's interview wowed Nets - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
Nets confirm Avery Johnson's hiring - Julian Garcia - The InterNets
Nets have agreement in principle with Avery Johnson - Tom Canavan - AP
- Avery Johnson will be coaching the Nets - Kelly Dwyer - Yahoo! Sports
Thorn says Johnson right man for Nets - Adam Zagoria - SNY
- Best Mavericks coach ever will lose more in New Jersey - Tim Cowlishaw - Dallas Morning News
- Coaching carousel at full spin as free agency closes in - Art Garcia - NBA.com
'Little General' Big Hire for Nets - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets