As expected, Brett Yormark has issued a statement explaining why he reacted so harshly to a fan wearing a paper bag at Monday's Heat game. "I did not agree with the way this person expressed his opinion of our team last night and I let him know," said Yormark, noting how fans have been "great" this season. "It’s been a frustrating season for all of us, but I will continue to stand up for our players, our fans, and our organization."
More details emerged on the incident, which was out of character for the fan-friendly CEO. Al Iannazzone reports that as he was walking his family out of the arena, Yormark spotted the fan, Chris Lisi of Middletown, sitting opposite the Nets bench. Yormark turned and said something. Then after Yormark escorted his children out of the arena, he came back and said something else. Lisi reportedly didn't know who Yormark is.
Meanwhile Courtney Lee told reporters he doesn't care much. "We play for each other out on the court," Lee said. "No one pays attention to the fans – they’re going to cheer or they’re not. When we go out there and play, it’s for us. We like for the fans to cheer for us, and we appreciate the ones that do come and cheer for us."
- Out of the bag - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Yormark regrets confrontation with bag-wearing fan - Julian Garcia - New York Daily News
- Nets CEO Brett Yormark will 'continue to stand up' for team, fans - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets CEO explains fan altercation - New York Post Nets Blog
Sad-sack Nets fan is bag deal - David Satriano & Fred Kerber - New York Post
Nets chief executive argues with paper-bagged fan - Tom Canavan - AP
Nets fan has gall to mock team for being bad - Rob Mahoney - NBC Sports
- New Jersey Nets CEO yells at bag-wearing fan - ESPN
- Nets CEO Can’t Believe Fans Think His Team Stinks - Will Leitch - New York Magazine
- Nets Exec Argues With Paper-Bagged Fan - Luke Funk - FOX NY
- Fight Night: Nets’ CEO vs. Brown Paper Bag Fan - Austin Burton - DIME
- For Team Management, Nets Are Not Bag-Worthy - Richard Sandomir - New York Times
- Team CEO vs. bag-wearing fan - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Don't even try to wear a bag on your head to a Nets game - Trey Kerby - Ball Don't Lie
Humiliated by Brown Bag, Facts, Nets CEO Yells at Fan - Michael Hilzenrath - NBC New York