The Nets were on the wrong side of the late comeback this time, blowing a 10-point lead with 5 1/2 minutes to go and falling to 2-2 with a 85-83 loss to the Bobcats at the Prudential Center on Wednesday.
It was the Bobcats' first win and best defensive performance in four tries.
It was an ugly game that was close most of the night. After spraining his left shoulder in the third quarter, Devin Harris led the Nets on a run in the fourth. But as soon as they built a 10-point lead, the Bobcats responded with a 14-2 run to go up two with a minute and a half left. After Brook Lopez tied the game, Harris was called for a foul on D.J. Augustin late in the shot clock, and Augustin put Charlotte back up two. The Nets then missed four chances to tie it on the final possession and the clock ran out as they scrambled to get one final rebound.
Both teams shot 43 percent and turned the ball over 17 times, but Charlotte had a slight advantage on the boards and at the free throw line. Harris led the Nets with 19 points and eight assists. Brook Lopez, who appeared to injured his left shoulder on the final play, added 17 points, six boards and five blocks. Derrick Favors had another strong game with 11 points and eight boards, but Troy Murphy was not a factor in his Nets debut. Stephen Graham, Joe Smith and Ben Uzoh were inactive.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Game Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Augustin's free throws give Bobcats first win - Tom Canavan - AP
- Bobcats-Nets Notebook - Jake Appleman - NBA.com
- Brook Lopez, Devin Harris 'fine' after suffering minor shoulder injuries in Nets' 85-83 loss to Bobcats - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Delbarton product Troy Murphy starts in Nets debut - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
Kris Humphries giving Nets energy boost off bench - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets falter in the fourth to fall to Bobcats, 85-83 - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Nets blow chance in history reversal - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Murphy feels OK in debut - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Rapid Reaction: Bobcats 85, Nets 83 - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
Nets collapse, surrender 10-point fourth quarter lead to Bobcats in 85-83 loss - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets fall to Bobcats, Avery isn't pleased - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Nets spoil shot to start 3-1 - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
- Post Game Plus (Video) - Gordon Damer - YES Network
From the Booth (Video) - Ian Eagle & Mike Fratello - YES Network
- Brook Lopez Interview (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Press Conference (Video) - YES Network
- Two DJs, Taking Strides From Texas - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets
- Bobcats survive Nets, wild ending - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer
- Some post-game Bobcats thoughts - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer
- Bobcats win first game, beat the Nets 85-83 - David A. Arnott - Rufus on Fire
Photo Gallery - Nets vs. Bobcats - Bill Kostroun - AP