The Nets played the Jazz tough, but they didn't have enough offensively to close the game, falling to 4-7 with a 98-88 loss in Utah on Wednesday night.
Utah took control of the game late in the second quarter and their lead bounced between seven and 13 points for most of the second half. The Nets didn't let them pull away though, and they cut the lead to five with 4:23 to go in the fourth quarter. But while they got stops on one end, they had six straight empty possessions on the other, and the Jazz held on for the win.
Offensively, this one was nothing like Monday's win in L.A. Against the Clippers, when the Nets shot 60 percent and recorded 32 assists. Against the Jazz, they shot just 38 percent and recorded just 11 assists. The Nets did outrebound the 57-44.
The other big difference? Travis Outlaw, who made just one of his 12 shots from the field. Anthony Morrow picked up some of the slack, scoring 24 points, while Devin Harris and Brook Lopez added 19 and 17 points respectively. Terrence Williams played just six minutes in his return. Kris Humphries finished with 15 rebounds, the third time in his four starts where he's grabbed 12 or more rebounds.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Game Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Nets-Jazz notebook - Andrew Aragon - NBA.com
Williams, Millsap lead Jazz to 98-88 win over Nets - Lynn DeBruin - AP
- Nets hang tough but can't catch up to Jazz in 98-88 loss - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Jefferson and Williams too much for Nets - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Morrow, Outlaw out of sync - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets Lose on the Road to Utah Jazz - Jonathan Abrams - New York Times
Nets' GM proud of new commitment - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Nets shoot selves out of winnable game in Utah - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
- Post-Game Plus (Video) - Gordan Damer - YES Network
- From the Booth (Video) - Ian Eagle & Jim Spanarkel - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Press Conference (Video) - YES Network
Brook Lopez Interview (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
- Rapid Reaction: Jazz 98, Nets 88 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Jazz’s starters shine in 98-88 win over Nets - Steve Luhm - Salt Lake Tribune
- Official postgame quotes and notes - Brian T. Smith - Salt Lake Tribune
- Jazz’s Bell chimes in just in time - Kurt Kragthorpe - Salt Lake Tribune
- Postgame wrap — Jefferson sings; Jazz's starters synch up - Brian T. Smith - Salt Lake Tribune
Jazz notes: Sloan pleased with Kirilenko in starter’s role - Brian T. Smith - Salt Lake Tribune
Utah Jazz: Nets improved, but Jazz still better - Jody Gennesy - Deseret News
- Utah Jazz notebook: Jerry Sloan says Jazz need to rebound - Jody Gennesy - Deseret News
- After a few nights off, Bell turns to aggressive side against Nets - Jim Burton - Ogden Standard-Net
- Jazz bigs make offensive, defensive presence known to Nets - Liz Frome - KSL
Assist of the Night - Deron Williams (Video) - NBA.com