There'll be two interesting homecomings Thursday night in Newark.
Shaquille O'Neal will return to his hometown when the Celtics comes to Newark to play the Nets. He'd like to see the Nets stay in Newark, but Mikhail Prokhorov says it's not happening. He's all about Brooklyn.
As for Shaq's offer to become the Newark Nets' GM, Prokhorov responded, "Regarding the gracious offer to become general manager, Shaq is always welcome to send his résumé to Billy King." O'Neal grew up in Newark, leaving when he was 14. He still has family there. He'll be playing only his second game in Celtics' green. Boston ran the 76ers out of a New Hampshire gym Wednesday in their preseason opener.
It will also be Lawrence Frank's first game back in New Jersey since taking an assistant coaching job with the Celtics. Also on the Celtic staff: Roy Rogers who left the Nets last month.
In keeping with Doc Rivers' philosophy, don't expect a lot from the Celtics' other Hall of Famers: Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. Boston's other O'Neal, Jermaine, is hurt. As for the Nets, Devin Harris is a game time decision at point but Troy Murphy appears to be game away. Asked why he didn't practice Wednesday, Harris, responded, “Timmy is what happened,” Harris said, jokingly referring to Tim Walsh, the Nets' trainer. “He overpowers all.”
The game will be broadcast on YES.
- New Jersey Nets Game Notes - New Jersey Nets
- Boston Celtics Game Notes - Boston Celtics
- Getting Inside - New Jersey Nets - Sports Xchange
- Getting Inside - Boston Celtics - Sports Xchange
- Harris Still Hobbled as Frank Returns - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zone
- Shaq: Keep Nets in Newark - Al Iannazzone - The Record
Shaq: Keep Nets in Newark and Make Me GM - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
Lawrence Frank lands on his feet with Celtics - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Bruised foot keeps Nets guard Devin Harris out of practice - Conor Orr - Nets Blast
- Harris may miss another Nets preseason game - Howard Kussoy - New York Post Nets Blog
T-Will emerging for Nets - Howard Kussoy - New York Post
Things to look for during NBA preseason, including Gilbert Arenas' return from gun-play suspension - Mitch Lawrence - New York Daily News
- Lopez's Big Game Broadcast in the Box Score - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets
Sussman Sez: China Syndrome - Gary Sussman - New Jersey Nets