As Mikhail Prokhorov introduced himself to his team for the first time (paying a lot of attention to Brook Lopez), he promised he'll be in Newark for Opening Night on October 27 vs. the Pistons.
Word is that he will find it hard to leave New Jersey before October 31, when the Nets play the Heat.
Prokhorov made the announcement at the team's hour-long open practice in the CSKA Moscow Universal Sports Hall, where the Nets concluded their public events later Sunday with a "Basketball Celebration" in front of 3,000 children from all over the country. Prokhorov hosted a private dinner for the team later Sunday.
And the Russian billionaire didn't relent on his two promises, made right after he bought the team last May. He told reporters that he still expects the playoffs this season and a championship within five years. All the day's videos, including the practice where Prokhorov makes his statement about the team's future, can be found on YouTube.
- Prokhorov introduces Moscow to the Nets - David Nowak - AP
- Prokhorov Flies Nets to Moscow (Video) - Ryan Chilcote - Bloomberg
Prokhorov Flies Nets to Moscow for Pep Talk on Global Ambitions - Yuriy Humber - Bloomberg
- Nets meet up with Russian owner Prokhorov (Video) - Russia Today
NETS VIDEO: Nets CSKA Basketball Clinic - New Jersey Nets
Moscow Meet Greet - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Prokhorov Hopes Nets Can Stir Russian Interest in Basketball - Michael Schwirtz - New York Times
Nets meet billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov on trip to Moscow - Conor Orr - Star-Ledger
- Prokhorov Press Briefing (Audio) - YouTube
NetsMoscow Channel (Video) - YouTube