Seemed like a good idea at the time. In 2012, the Nets contracted with Marvel Comics to create a superhero mascot for the new Brooklyn Nets .. the BrooklyKnight. The mascot made a dramatic entrance from the ceiling to the court on Opening Night and Marvel even produced a comic book that featured him and Nets players.
Then, the complaints began. He was too scary for kids, too tacky for adults. Now, reports Zach Lowe of Grantland, the experiment has ended. The Nets will retire BrooklyKnight...
Actual news: Nets have informed their mascot he will not return next season, may place Brooklyn Knight character on hiatus...or worse.— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) July 10, 2014
To be clear: this is not about the person who plays the mascot. Hearing this is about dissatisfaction with the Knight character.— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) July 10, 2014
A team official confirms the worst about BrooklyKnight.: "Had to face reality that he didn't work out." There are no plans to find a new mascot. Maybe, they could give the Knight permission to talk with Milwaukee.
- A farewell to BrooklyKnight, the Brooklyn Nets' awful mascot - Rodger Sherman - SB Nation
- RIP, BrooklynKnight: Nets reportedly get rid of much-criticized mascot - Charles Curtis - Star-Ledger
- Brooklyn Nets ditch maligned mascot, BrooklyKnight - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- The short, sad life of the BrooklyKnight - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Five candidates for the Nets' new mascot - ESPN
- Nets bench BrooklyKnight; which NBA mascots are best? - Steve Fontana - amNY
- RIP Brooklyknight -- A tear-jerking video tribute (Video) - Cory Hart - The Brooklyn Game
- Marvel-designed Brooklyn Nets mascot won't return next season - Comic Book Resources
- 10 Mascots That the NBA Needs to Get Rid Of Immediately - Chris Yuscavage - Complex