The Brooklyn Nets have made a trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves, sending $1 million in cash in exchange for the 44th pick. And, with that 44th pick in the 2014 NBA Draft they selected Markel Brown out of Oklahoma State.
Source: Brooklyn got in the draft. Will get Minnesota's No. 44 pick. So T-Wolves will pick for the Nets.— Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz) June 27, 2014
The Brooklyn Nets have acquired the 44th pick from Minnesota, league source tells Yahoo Sports.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) June 27, 2014
Billy King thinks Brown could play more than one position.
"We always want to keep adding athletic players. We did it last year by adding Mason (Plumlee)," King said. "I look at him as a combo guard. I think you have to put your best players on the court."
Brown is a 6-3 shooting guard who averaged 17.3 points and 5.3 rebounds, shooting 37.5 percent from the three-point line at Oklahoma State last season, where he was a model of consistency in his senior year. He is 22 years old. In the pre-draft combine, Brown registered a 43.5" vertical, tied for the best vertical leaps at the combine. Andrew Wiggins was not at the combine.
He once did this:
Here is his scouting report from DraftExpress. Below is his interview from the draft combine in Chicago.
Brown apparently has wanted to a Brooklyn Net for a while.
- Nets play money ball, buy three picks in second round of NBA draft - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- GM Billy King snares three second-round picks for Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Daily News
- Nets Trade Into NBA Draft, Land Guard Markel Brown, 2 Others - WFAN
- Nets make three second-round picks - Rod Boone - Newsday
- NBA Draft: Oklahoma State's Markel Brown lands with Brooklyn Nets - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Rapid Reaction: Brooklyn Nets select G Markel Brown - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rapid Reax: Nets select Thames, Jefferson - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Boston Celtics select UK's James Young with pick from Nets - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Nets look for athleticism with 2014 picks - Brian Erni - SNY Nets
- Cavaliers Pick Wiggins at No. 1, Bringing N.B.A. Draft Speculation Full Circle - Benjamin Hoffman - New York Times
- NBA draft 2014 results: Pick-by-pick recap - Scott Branson - Star-Ledger
- Brooklyn Nets - Adam Fromal - Bleacher Report
- Nets buy 44th pick, draft OK State G Markel Brown - Chris Hooker - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets buy two more picks, draft Thames and Jefferson - Chris Hooker - The Brooklyn Game