From the release:
Gutierrez (6-3, 195) joins the Nets from the Canton Charge of the NBA Development League, where he has appeared in 35 games (all starts) this season, averaging 13.9 points, 5.7 rebounds, 6.9 assists (tied for third in the D-League) and 1.2 steals in 32.7 minutes per game. Prior to the 2013-14 NBA season, Gutierrez was signed to the Nets' training camp roster, where he appeared in five preseason games, averaging 1.8 points and 3.0 rebounds per game, before being waived on October 26.
After going undrafted in the 2012 NBA Draft, Gutierrez spent last season with the Charge and was named to the NBA D-League’s All-Defensive First Team and All-Rookie First Team. A four-year player at the University of California, Gutierrez was named Pac-12 Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year following his senior season.
The D-League's website asked Ryan Blake, the NBA's senior director of scouting what he thought. He recalled what Billy King had told him about Gutierrez just before the D-League Draft in November ... and just after the Nets had cut the 6'3" point guard.
"Here's what King told me," said Blake. "Gutierrez has a lot of point guard skills, He plays great defense. but he really did a good job of running a team no matter who was on the floor and that's what you expect from an NBA point guard"
What does this mean now for the Disabled Player Exception?
Gutierrez is from Chihuahua, Mexico. He will wear #13 for Brooklyn.
- Jorge Gutierrez Signs with Brooklyn Nets: Call-Up Breakdown - Brian Kotloff - D-League
- Nets, Gutierrez to agree on 10-day contract - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Brooklyn Nets Sign Jorge Gutierrez - Cal Bears
- Nets Sign Jorge Gutierrez to 10-Day Contract - Brooklyn Nets
- Ex-Cal star Jorge Gutierrez signs 10-day contract with Brooklyn Nets - Jeff Faraudo - San Jose Mercury-News