Sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com that the Nets, after letting Thursday's trade deadline pass without a deal for the Los Angeles Lakers' Jordan Hill, are weighing the addition of another big man and have identified Collins as a prime candidate to join their frontcourt rotation via the 10-day route.
They note that there has been no decision made on signing Collins, and also mention that if the Nets do sign Collins he will be the NBA's first "active openly gay player."
Nets GM Billy King reiterated on a conference call with the media that the team is looking to add a big man in the free agent market.
Billy King said the Nets will look to "add a big" this season via free agency, or any other avenue available.— Andy Vasquez (@andy_vasquez) February 20, 2014
Billy King was asked if he got a report on Jason Collins: "He's in shape."— Andrew Keh (@andrewkeh) February 20, 2014
Bottom line for the Nets, said King: "We’re going to bring in a basketball player," he said. "It’s not about marketing or anything like that. If we’re bringing somebody in, we’re bringing them in because we feel they can help our basketball team."
in addition to Collins, the Nets are expected to look at Ivan Johnson, the former Atlanta center just back from China; Glen "Big Baby" Davis, who's being bought by the Magic; and Devin Ebanks, the D-League's top forward now with the Armor.
- Brooklyn Nets considering signing Jason Collins to 10-day contract - Marc Stein and Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Rapid Reaction: Nets work out Collins - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Starting Five: Should the Brooklyn Nets sign Jason Collins? - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- GM King Confirms Nets Work Out Jason Collins - AP
- Jason Collins Is Considered Candidate for the Nets - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- GM Billy King Stays Quiet at Trade Deadline, but Nets Are Far From Finished - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Size needs lead Nets to consider first openly gay NBAer - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Jason Collins works out for Nets, GM Billy King says - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets' dealings are done for now - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets work out Jason Collins with 10-day contract in mind for free-agent center - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets worked out Jason Collins, looking to sign a big man soon - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Brooklyn Nets Considering Signing Jason Collins: Sources - Robert Windrem - NBC News
- Jason Collins Reportedly Draws Interest from Two NBA Teams - Nate Rawlings - TIME
- Report: Nets considering signing Jason Collins - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
- Reports: Jason Collins drawing interest from Nets, Clippers - Matt Dollinger - Sports Illustrated
- Nets Will Pursue All Options to Add a Big Man - Lenn Robbins - Brooklyn Nets