An hour after the Nets first true trade rumor broke -- a Jarrett Jack for Jason Terry trade-- Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reports the Nets have discussed a deal for Jordan Hill that would have the Nets use part of their Disabled Player Exception. The Lakers apparently initiated the talks, Woj later reported.
Los Angeles, Brooklyn have discussed Jordan Hill deal into the Nets' Disabled Player Exception, league sources tell Yahoo.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 17, 2014
Woj provided some details on how things would work and how much it would cost...
Nets have until March 10 to use $5.25M DPE for Brook Lopez injury. With tax hit on Hill $3.5M deal, cost to Nets: $17M. Not an easy sell.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 17, 2014
Ohm Youngmisuk, who broke the Jack-for-Terry rumor, confirmed the Hill rumor ...
Team sources confirm @WojYahooNBA report on Nets and Lakers discussing deal for Jordan Hill for Disabled Player Exception— Ohm Youngmisuk (@NotoriousOHM) February 17, 2014
Appearing later on ESPN, Youngmisuk said he didn't think the additional eight figure luxury tax hit would deter Mikhail Prokhorov. However, a league source told NetsDaily Monday evening that nothing on either front is imminent. "The cart is before the horse here," the source added, indicating the deals are at an early stage. The trade deadline is 3 p.m. Thursday.
With 14 roster spots, the Nets could trade Terry for Jack, then trade a piece like a protected second rounder or draft rights to a Euro-Stash for Hill. The Nets would not have to drop another player. The luxury tax bill could be reduced if the Nets were able to trade another player for a pick or draft rights. Such a deal would help the Lakers get under the luxury tax threshold this season, one in which L.A. has virtually no chance of making the playoffs.
The Nets have reportedly been looking for a post defender. Hill, still only 26, would fill that bill.
Scout I spoke with today said #Nets could use post defender/athletic rebounder and/or spark plug-scorer a la Nate Robinson. Jack fits latter
— Mike Mazzeo (@MazzESPN) February 17, 2014
Hill, 26, was regarded as a bust during his early years in the NBA, but has played well with the Lakers the past two seasons in a reserve role, mostly. He is averaging about 20 minutes per game, scoring nearly nine points and grabbing seven rebounds. He has a reputation as a solid defender.
- Sources: Lakers, Nets talk trade involving Jordan Hill - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Nets eye Jack, Hill ahead of deadline - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rumor: Nets interested in Lakers' Jordan Hill - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Rumor: Nets looking to deal Terry for Jack? - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Report: Nets may use disabled player exception to acquire Jordan Hill from Lakers - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Report: Nets, Cavaliers talking Jarrett Jack for Jason Terry swap - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Lakers Trade Rumors: Nets, Lakers talking deal to send Jordan Hill to Brooklyn - Ryan Ward - Examiner
- Report: Lakers, Nets discuss Jordan Hill deal - Laker Nation