he Brooklyn Nets were three games under .500 entering tonight, with a game against the 8th place Charlotte Bobcats on the docket, it was a game that they "needed" to win if they wanted to keep pace with the rest of the Eastern Conference. And win they did, easily, beating the Bobcats 105-89.
Both teams got off to a very Eastern Conference-like start, with some missed jumpers and a few turnovers sprinkled in. Paul Pierce led the way for the Nets, scoring nine of the team's first 13 points -- his first three makes were all from beyond the three-point line. Andray Blatche got going early as well, off the bench, scoring nine points in seven minutes. Though, the defense struggled getting stops, and after one they led just 30-29.
Mirza Teletovic came out firing in the second quarter. He helped stretch the offense, while the Bobcats made just one of their first eight attempts to start the second. The Nets offense kept pushing, forcing the Bobcats to play at a faster tempo, which, believe it or not, favored the Nets.
At halftime, Brooklyn led 50-44.
The Nets forgot all about their third quarter struggles in this one, pulling to a 19-point lead midway through the third, with Pierce really cooking. After three quarters he was 9-of-11 with 25 points in22-plus minutes. He helped the Nets to a 85-63 lead over the struggling Bobcats. Nice offense, better defense. Game over, at this point.
Brooklyn closed out Charlotte in the fourth, winning 105-89. The Nets shot 50 percent from the floor, and were led by Pierce and his 25 points. They were able to maintain their lead over the Bobcats, who were sitting in eighth entering the night.
Next up, Thursday night in Chicago against the Bulls.
For more on the Bobcats, see: Rufus on Fire
- Bobcats at Nets - February 12, 2014 - Box score - NBA.com
- Game Thread: Brooklyn Nets vs. Charlotte Bobcats, 7:30 PM - NetsDaily
- 2nd Half Game Thread: Nets vs. Bobcats - NetsDaily
- Bobcats vs. Nets: Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Through the D and Dunk (Video) - NBA.com
- Fake and Jam (Video) - NBA.com
- Pretty Pass (Video) - NBA.com
- Post Game Plus: Nets defeat Bobcats, 105-89 (Video) - Chris Shearn - YES Network
- Pierce discusses his performance after win (Video) - Sarah Kustok - YES Network
- Kidd discusses Nets win over the Bobcats (Video) - YES Network
- Blatche discusses 105-89 win over Bobcats (Video) - YES Network
- WATCH: Andray Blatche with the dribble-drive and tomahawk slam (Video) - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets defeat Bobcats, 105-89, behind Paul Pierce's 25 points - AP
- Nets’ Reserves Take the Lead Once Again - Benjamin Hoffman - New York Times
- Nets beat Bobcats, attribute winning lately to familiarity, better health - John Jeansonne - Newsday
- Paul Pierce adds 25 points as Nets topple Bobcats with All-Star break near - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets approach long road trip with easy win against Bobcats - Larry Fleisher - Metro
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 105, Bobcats 89 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Vets Pierce, KG giving 'glue' to Nets - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Pierce: Road trip 'a moment of truth' - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nearing .500 after rout of Bobcats, Nets to begin key road trip - Josh Newman - SNY Nets
- Nets Burn Bobcats, 105-89 (GAME GRADES) - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Pierce, Garnett key to Nets victorious ways in 2014 - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets rout Bobcats as NBA enters lull for All-Star weekend - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer
- Charlotte Bobcats - Brooklyn Nets Observations - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer