Joe Johnson, the league's top clutch shooter the last two years, has been named to the NBA All-Star Team for the seventh time, selected to the East's reserves by the conference coaches. The game will be played February 16 in New Orleans.
"On behalf of the entire Nets organization, I want to congratulate Joe on his selection to the 2014 All-Star game," said Billy King. "Joe epitomizes what a true professional is, and we are thrilled at this honor."
Johnson responded with a tweet...
Very honored to be selected to NBA AllStar.— Joe Johnson 4real (@TheJoeJohnson7) January 31, 2014
Johnson, a 6'7", 240-pound swingman, has supplied continuity to the Nets this season as injuries decimated the rotation. His selection adds to the current roster's long list of appearances in the game: six Nets have made the classic 37 times. Kevin Garnett has been named 15 times; Paul Pierce 10, Johnson seven; Deron Williams, three and Andrei Kirilenko and Brook Lopez, one each.
Johnson is the second Brooklyn Net to be named an NBA all-Star, following Lopez 's selection last season.
He's averaging 15.7 points on 44.3 percent shooting overall, 38.6 percent from deep. He's also putting up 2.3 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game. Among those he beat out in the coaches' voting, Kyle Lowry and Lance Stephenson, apparently in thar order.
Not everyone was happy with the selection. ESPN called Johnson the biggest surprise in the coaches' voting and Zach Lowe of Grantland tweeted...
Joe Johnson over Kyle Lowry is a complete joke.— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) January 31, 2014
Johnson beat both the Suns and Thunder this season at the buzzer.
- Joe Johnson will rep Brooklyn as All-Star Game reserve - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Brooklyn Nets Joe Johnson named NBA All-Star Game reserve for East - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Joe Johnson's an All-Star again - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Joe Johnson Named NBA All-Star - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- NBA names All-Star game reserves; Nets' Joe Johnson is on East squad - AP
- Nowtizki, Bosh Head Reserves for All Star Game - Reuters
- 2014 NBA All-Star Game snubs and surprises - ESPN
- Johnson named an All-Star reserve - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Joe Johnson is an All-Star - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Joe Johnson Named to 2014 Eastern Conference All-Star Team - Brooklyn Nets