The Nets are finalizing separate deals with Chicago and New Orleans that will send Toko Shengelia to the Bulls in exchange for Marquis Teague, and Tyshawn Taylor to the Pelicans for a protected second round draft pick and cash considerations. The cash considerations are not expected to be much more than $1 million, perhaps less.
Chicago is finalizing deal to send Marquis Teague to the Brooklyn Nets for forward Toko Shengelia, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) January 18, 2014
Brooklyn is sending Tyshawn Taylor to New Orleans for a future pick and cash, sources tell Yahoo.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) January 18, 2014
The trade confirmed by beat writers in New York and Chicago, won't be completed until Tuesday, when league offices reopen after the Martin Luther King holiday. Teague, a 6'2" guard, has spent most of this season back and forth between the Bulls and the NBA D-League’s Iowa Energy. In 19 games with the Bulls this season, Teague averaged 2.4 points on 24.2 percent shooting in 12.7 minutes. He is 20 years old.
Although the trade opens up a roster spot for the Nets, the team is not expected to make another deal now ... although they could, if they wanted sign a player to a 10-day contract. The deal does give them roster flexibility at the trade deadline on February 20. The trade will save the Nets $2.5 million in luxury taxes, dropping their tax bill just below $85 million. Teague, who is still on his rookie contract, will make $1.21 million next season.
Specifically, the Bulls will send former first-round draft pick to the Nets for Shengalia, league sources told Yahoo Sports. The Nets also reached an agreement to send guard and cash to the New Orleans Pelicans for a conditional future draft pick, sources said. Which pick and in what draft has yet to be reported, but indications are its a second round pick with significant protections. The Nets currently have no unprotected second rounders until 2018. Their 2016 pick is owed to the Clippers, with protections, from the Reggie Evans trade.
The trade limits the amount of cash they can spend at the Draft next June but the team believes they will have enough left to buy a second round pick if they want. The Nets do have a $5.15 million DPE they can use to either sign a free agent or trade for a player with an expiring deal. The DPE can be used until March 10 to sign a free agent and February 20 to make a trade.
Shengelia seemed to confirm the deal.
And Taylor looked forward.
along with many other things ...I pray everyday for an opportunity --— tyshawn taylor (@tyshawntaylor) January 18, 2014
- Nets make trades with Bulls, Pelicans - Yahoo Sports - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Nets acquire Marquis Teague, trade Tyshawn Taylor to Pelicans - SB Nation
- Bulls trade Marquis Teague to the Nets - Ricky O'Donnell - Blog-a-Bull
- Report: Nets acquire Marquis Teague for Tyshawn Taylor, Tornike Shengelia - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Report: Nets acquire Teague for Taylor, Shengelia - AP
- Brooklyn Nets acquire Marquis Teague, draft pick in separate deals - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Trade grades - Nets land Marquis Teague from Bulls - Kevin Pelton - ESPN Insider
- Nets Acquire Marquis Teague From Bulls - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Nets trade Shengelia for Bulls’ Teague - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Analyzing the Marquis Teague-to-Brooklyn Trade - Joel Brigham - Basketball Insiders
- Bulls sending Marquis Teague to Nets - K.C. Johnson - Chicago Tribune
- Bulls trade Marquis Teague to Nets for Tornike Shengelia - Joe Cowley - Chicago Sun-Times
Report: Bulls deal Marquis Teague to Nets - Comcast Sports Net
- The New Orleans Pelicans reportedly obtaining guard Tyshawn Taylor, cash in a trade with Brooklyn Nets - Nakia Hogan - New Orleans Times-Picayune
- Report: Nets finalizing trades with Bulls and Pelicans to free up roster spot - Brett Pollakoff - NBC Sports
- Reports: Nets to trade for Bulls' Marquis Teague, send Tyshawn Taylor to Pelicans - Ben Golliver - Sports Illustrated