It started with an insult...
JR Smith added that Paul Pierce "doesn't really know what New York is all about." #Knicks— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) August 31, 2013
oooh, a warning, too...
J.R. Smith on Paul Pierce saying the Nets will run NY: "Just know that his words have consequences & he's going to have to pay for them."— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) August 31, 2013
then, a dose of reality...
J.R. Smith said #Knicks doctors haven't given him a timetable for his return yet. He hopes to be ready to participate in training camp.— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) August 31, 2013
So, we are left with a guy who may not be ready for training camp, or the opening of the season, suggesting that Pierce will in some way, "pay" for his comments about the Nets running they. (We don't know how Pierce will "pay" but we believe we know how it won't: a great defensive performance by Smith.)
Whatever. We do appreciate that on a lazy Labor Day weekend, J.R. decided to extend the Nets-Knicks rivalry.
- J.R. Smith of New York Knicks calls Paul Pierce 'bitter' - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
- JR Smith: Anti-Knicks remarks from 'bitter' Paul Pierce could have 'consequences' - Marc Berman - New York Post
- Knicks’ J.R. Smith disses Paul Pierce, Brooklyn Nets & guarantees title - Marc Berman - New York Post
Knicks links: J.R. Smith discusses knee surgery, Nets' Paul Pierce - Alex Raskin - Star-Ledger
- Knicks’ J.R. Smith: Paul Pierce will ‘pay’ for comments about Nets taking over New York - Ben Golliver - Sports Illustrated
- J.R. Smith is angry with Paul Pierce, apparently - Scott Schroeder - NBC Sports
- J.R. Smith guarantees title, but may miss season opener - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
- J.R. Smith guarantees a Knicks title and says Nets are ‘still not good’ - Nate Scott - USA Today
- J.R. Smith on Paul Pierce: 'His words have consequences' - Ethan Rothstein - SBNation