Mark Heisler, the LA-based Hall of Fame writer, reports that the Nets have reached out to Jeff Van Gundy and "he didnt say no," according to Heisler's tweet. The news was later confirmed by Mike Mazzeo of ESPN New York.
The former Los Angeles Times hoops writer tweeted...
In a New York Times report Friday night, Heisler added that the contact was also "brief." Van Gundy, who coached the Knicks and Rockets before joining ESPN, was on everyone's short list until about two weeks ago when Stefan Bondy, among others reported the Nets weren't interested in he or his brother Stan.
In a text exchange with SNY's Josh Newman, Van Gundy pointedly did not deny the report.
"I don’t just talk about jobs," Van Gundy told SNY.tv via text message. "If [Nets General Manager] Billy [King] wants to talk about who he has talked to, then that’s up to him."
The Nets too declined comment on the Heisler report.
Mazzeo later confirmed Heisler's report, with a tweet of his own.
Increasingly, there's a sense that Lionel Hollins is not the front-runner for the job.
- Jeff Van Gundy Responds to SNY.tv About Reported Contact with Nets - Josh Newman - SNY Nets
- Report: Nets reach out to Jeff Van Gundy - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets Are Said to Have Interest in Jeff Van Gundy - Mark Heisler - New York Times
- Brooklyn Nets contact Jeff Van Gundy about coaching vacancy, according to source - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Former Knicks coach Van Gundy has had 'preliminary contact' with Nets: report - Tim Bontemps & Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Report: Nets contact Jeff Van Gundy about head coaching vacancy tefan Bondy - New York Daily News