"Jason Collins was a vital member of the New Jersey Nets for six and a half years, and as an executive with a competing NBA team, I always respected the standard he set for team play and the example he set for the league in playing with integrity and purpose. He exemplifies everything we look for in players, and for those players and associates within our organization, our primary focus is creating the most accepting and respectful environment for everyone to succeed."
Nothing earth-shattering there, but a nice comment nonetheless.
Collins was with the Nets from 2001-08, having his best season as a pro with the 2004-05 New Jersey Nets.
- King, Lopez, Johnson praise Jason Collins - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Jason Kidd supports Jason Collins' decision to come out - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
Collins comes out: 'I’ll lead by example and show that gay players are no different from straight ones' - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets respond to Collins announcement - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Jason Collins, NBA center, comes out as first openly gay athlete in major American sports - Michael O'Keeffe - New York Daily News
- Jason Collins comes out as gay, making resounding statement in sports world - Craig Wolff - Star-Ledger
- Jason Collins perfectly suited in role as pioneer after coming out as gay - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Jerry Stackhouse says 'real response' to Jason Collins will be if he gets job next season - Mike Vorkunov - Star-Ledger
- Hinrich, Stackhouse have different reactions to Jason Collins’ news (Video) - Chicago Sun-Times