Brian A. Westerholt
Not good when your best young player loses a game of one-on-one to the owner. And that's the least of their problems.
The Nets have lost four of their last five. Not good. The Bobcats have lost seven straight by an average 22.1 points per game, including a 122-105 blowout to the Blazers on Monday night. Disastrous.
Michael Jordan's team is the NBA's worst with only 13 wins overall, only seven at home, also the league worst. They're also dead last in losing margin, assists per game, opponents assists per game, two point shooting percentage, field goals per game, opponents three pointers, first quarter points and defensive rebounding. They are in the top five in only trips to the line and makes from the line. Whew!
Kemba Walker, their star point guard, is in slump. While failing to guard Damian Lillard, he shot 5-of-20 (at one point he was 2-of-16) and Byron Mullens, their young center, is hurt. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who they took at #2 in the draft, had 17 vs. Portland, but has been generally a disappointment. In February, he had games of 0-of-3, 0-of-2, 1-of-6, 1-of-4, and two of 1-of-5. For the month, he shot 31 percent overall. He's made two three pointers for the season ... and a game of one-on-one to the team's 50 year old owner. He is the youngest player in the NBA.
In short, they are not much better than last year's team which may have been the NBA's worst ever.
For the Nets, it's an opportunity to end their two game losing streak and get a win on the road. The two big questions are likely to be how many minutes Mirza Teletovic gets, how many minutes Brook Lopez and Andray Blatche play together and whether Deron Williams will attempt a dunk. Joe Johnson says he feels better. As for P.J. Carlesimo's plan to shorten the rotation, it might not kick in vs. Charlotte. If things work out, the whole team should see minutes.
- Brooklyn Nets Game Notes - Brooklyn Nets
- Charlotte Bobcats Game Notes - Charlotte Bobcats
- Brooklyn Nets Tickets - TiqIQ
- Nets at Bobcats - March 6, 2013 - Noey Kupchan - STATS
- Nets to experiment with Lopez and Blatche, together, to save their season - Howard Megdal - Capital New York
- Deron criticizes 'slipping' Nets defense - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets not sweating division title - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets' Deron Williams is pain-free and his game shows it - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Wednesday: Brooklyn Nets at Charlotte Bobcats - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer