Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
Finally! The Nets are in the playoffs! They clinched their first playoff spot since 2007, their first in Brooklyn and their first with Mikhail Prokhorov as owner on Thursday when the 76ers lost to the Nuggets. The Nets are currently 12 games over .500, the fourth seed in the East , two games behind the second seed Pacers and a game behind the third seed Knicks.
Billy King noted the milestone in an e-mail to Tim Bontemps late Thursday night.
"Making the playoffs is great for our fans and the organization. Now we need to continue getting better as a team."
Prokhorov in a comment released by his spokesperson in Moscow looked forward.
"Of course I'm pleased the Nets have made the playoffs, but I can't say I'm surprised. We have a lot of talent which is really coming together now and starting to gel. I am confident that the team's best days on the court are still ahead."
Over the past five years, the Nets never won more than 34 games. Their record was 126-268, including the disastrous 12-70 during their last year in the Meadowlands. The five year drought tied for the longest in franchise history. When they were last in the playoffs, they won 41 games with Vince Carter and Jason Kidd leading the way. So, two more wins would clinch the franchise's first winning season since 2005-06.
- Nets clinch first playoff berth since '07 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Prokhorov is 'not surprised' - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- What does it all mean? - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets clinch playoff berth - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets’ hobbled Johnson up & down - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
Nets Make Owner Happy by Clinching Playoff Spot - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Brooklyn Nets Clinch NBA Playoff Spot as 76ers Lose to Nuggets - Nancy Kercheval - Bloomberg
- Nets owner says he's happy for playoffs, but is he? - USA Today