Whatever type personality is above "Type A," that's Lawrence Frank. writes David Aldridge. You either live with it, and its benefits and liabilities or you don't. Jason Kidd knew all about Frank of course, but Aldridge writes, apparently not well enough. Aldridge writes the personalities didn't mesh ... at all.
First, Aldridge puts to rest the notion that Kidd was not involved.
Kidd tried, gradually at first, to start putting his own imprint on the team. He would be, a member of the organization said last week, direct and honest with players in film sessions, going over things one-on-one with players -- "that's a bad shot, and here's why. That's losing basketball, and here's why," the source said. He tried to point out that he did know a couple of things about defense based on his career as a player (whether he specifically mentioned his four first-team all-NBA defensive team selections is unknown), and that he had ideas that were different from Frank's.
But Frank kept pushing his own ideas, "wouldn't stop talking," Aldridge quoted a coaching source as saying.
Kidd didn't like how it appeared Frank and not he was coaching the team. At first, he told Frank to layoff calling out coverages on defense.Then, came the big blow-up after the Magic blow-out of the Nets in Orlando. Aldridge provides new details.
Kidd, according to a source, told Frank: "Sit the (bleep) down! I'm the coach of this (13-letter word) team! When you're on the bench, don't (bleeping) move!" Frank did as he was told. Other coaches playing the Nets thought he was ill, he was so quiet during recent games.
What's the "13-letter word?" Likely, it begins with an "M", ends in an "ing" and has a hyphen somewhere in the middle. There were, of course, other elements to the dispute. There've been reports that Kidd believed Frank was bad-mouthing him. Finally, he was demoted to doing the now infamous, "daily reports." Now both sides are lawyered up and no doubt planning strategies for the ultimate buyout.
Meanwhile, Kidd is instituting new defensive sets, replacing those offered by Frank.
- Why is the East so bad now? Ten factors stand out the most - David Aldridge - NBA.com
- Jason Kidd ripped Lawrence Frank in profanity-laced tirade in Brooklyn Nets coaches meeting: report - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Jason Kidd to Lawrence Frank: 'I'm the coach of this [expletive] team!' - SB Nation
- Jason Kidd of Brooklyn Nets used '13-letter word' on assistant during rant - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Details emerge on blowup between Jason Kidd, Lawrence Frank - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- The List: What is Jason Kidd's 13-letter word of choice? - Seth Rosenthal - SB Nation
A 13-letter curse word? What did Jason Kidd say to Lawrence Frank? - Charles Curtis - Star-Ledger