For the first time since November 15, the Nets may have their starting five on the court. The Nets haven't had a full complement of starters since they beat the Suns, 100-98 almost a month ago. Since then, every starter but Joe Johnson has lost at least one game to injury. The starters have played a total of 78 minutes together this season. Now, it's possible the starters will be whole on Tuesday.
Deron Williams was expected to practice today and did. Billy King said last week that he was likely going to play Tuesday against the Celtics. Williams had been out with an injured ankle since November 20 in the team's loss to the Bobcats.
Williams, of course, is expected to play tomorrow.— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) December 9, 2013
However, the big news out of Nets' practice is that Paul Pierce returned to practice today ... and may even play against his old team. The Nets announced last Monday that Pierce had a non-displaced fracture of the third metacarpal in his right hand. Yet he was practicing today. He was expected out two to four weeks by doctors. Pierce said he hopes to play against his former team tomorrow.
Paul Pierce said there's a good chance he plays tomorrow— Stefan Bondy (@NYDNInterNets) December 9, 2013
Sounds like mostly a pain-tolerance issue, and Pierce is pretty well known for his ability to play through pain.— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) December 9, 2013
Pierce would be playing eight days after being ruled out for up to a month.
Also on hand today at practice: Sergei Kushchenko, Mikhail Prokhorov's chief sports advisor and a member of the Nets board of directors. Kushchenko has spent the last several years revamping the Russian Biathlon Union, which Prokhorov heads. Before that, he ran CSKA Moscow for Prokhorov, winning two Euroleague championships in 2006 and 2008. He was named the Euroleague executive of the year in 2006.
- Paul Pierce could return vs. Celtics, has no problem coming off bench eventually if need be - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Paul Pierce could return vs. Celtics, Deron Williams is back - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Deron Williams says he’ll play against Celtics, Paul Pierce says there’s ‘a good chance’ he’ll play, too - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- With Deron returning, Nets finally close to full strength - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
Nets’ Pierce may return 11 days after breaking hand - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Deron Williams, Paul Pierce return to practice - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Williams, Pierce eye Tuesday return - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Paul Pierce has 'moved on' after Boston-BK swap - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- For Doc Rivers, Boston Celtics ties still bind - Jackie MacMullen - ESPN Boston
- Wallace gums up about Nets - Chris Forsbert - ESPN Boston
- Nets could have Paul Pierce, Deron Williams back on Tuesday - Royce Young - CBS Sports
- Before Nets-Celtics, Paul Pierce, Gerald Wallace Duel For Quote Of The Month - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game